or Connect

Posts by LynnS6

If they suspected a genetic abnormality or other developmental issues (fetal alcohol, e.g.), they may well have wanted to measure a lot of things to check to make sure that they baby was healthy. There was no need for them to have been so perfunctory about it -- they could have comforted him. My c-section babies were with dad the whole time. It was fine.
It sounds like until your grandmother is ready to move, there's not much you can do. You can alert the authorities. You can tell her that your home is always open to her. But you can't make your grandfather stop drinking or treat her well. You can't make her get out of the very unhealthy relationship.
      Well, this isn't the case for the school. If you can't afford it, don't do it. I don't send in extra supplies. I send in what's asked for. Our school never asks for more after the fact. I do make targeted donations sometimes -- but usually it's sending in an extra $5 to cover the cost for a field trip for a child who otherwise couldn't pay.   As I said before, since everything else was reasonable, I'm just flummoxed by these 10 erasers. It's NOT so that 3 kids can...
It sounds to me like you're handling it well -- the one thing I might recommend is less talk during the tantrum. But if she goes to her room when you suggest it and you offer a hug and some comfort when she comes back, then you're doing well.   I think it's important for you to remember that this is not about you -- it's about her and her development. As kids develop, they go through periods of disequilibrium where they're reorganizing their bodies, their...
  The bolded line makes me wonder if you're prone to anxiety and/or whether you've got a touch of PPD? (It can strike any time in the first year.) If things get worse, or don't improve, you might want to see your doctor/midwife. I had PPD/Anxiety, and the 'not sleeping' and 'not being able to let go' are classic symptoms.   A couple of good books that might help you are "Women's Moods" -- they've got a great self care program in there that might help you find your...
We decided simply not to do movies until our kids got to be 6-7. Before that age, most kids can't follow the story arc -- meaning that they don't  understand that the 'problem' is set up early and then resolved in some way or another by the end of the movie. They're too much in the moment. For my kids, the visual imagery was also too intense. So, the combination of development + sensitivity + visual imagery was too much. We did a few TV shows, and 1-2 movies based on TV...
Well, the request was for all of the 2nd grades, so it's not like one class is bringing in erasers and another crayons.   We do have a large number of very poor children in our school, and they do pool supplies up through 2nd grade (after that they use their own), but the pooling of supplies is more a logistical because they sit at tables and not desks. So, we've been asked to bring in 1 ruler, 2 boxes of 24 crayons, 48 pencils, 2 boxes of Kleenex, 1 box of colored...
So, dd's school supply list included: "10 large pink erasers". (And they're not the pencil top kind, they're the big ones.) Assuming this isn't a typo, any ideas on what a 2nd grade class is going to do with 10 large pink erasers per kid? I'm stumped.
I wonder if some parenting classes/therapy for working with your parenting expectations might be a good first step -- it sounds to me like you need some new tools in your parenting toolbox. The tools you have are a legacy of abuse, and it's hard to avoid using them if they're the only tools you've got. Yes, you've probably got some deep work to do in therapy, but that's a long term project, and you need some new parenting tools soon. The fact that you recognize this is a...
Since she needs a walker, do you have a handicapped parking permit for her? I'd talk to the school and see what they'd like you to do. One option might be to pull into the handicapped parking spot, help her out and send her in. Most car lines that I've seen don't have volunteers assisting kids from the car, and it's going to slow the line down if you have to get out. They might prefer to make other accommodations for you.