or Connect

Posts by skueppers

Does this have to be an all or nothing thing?  If your son is fine being at home, could your daughter go to school and your son stay home? That would avoid the problem of having two different school schedules, and you also wouldn't have to get him to and from preschool all the way across town.   Is there a way you could make having him at home compatible with your health needs? How understanding are the other parents you've been doing things with?   Or is there...
What wonderful news!
I think this depends so much on the personality of the child.  My son LOVED circle time from a young age.  I couldn't believe that, as a toddler, he wanted to go to library story time and participate for half an hour.  My daughter at that age was running around pulling books off the shelves, so we just didn't go.   I think most kids at 3 1/2, when confronted with a group situation like a preschool class, will go along with the group and participate in circle time. ...
If the kids wanted to do it, I thought they were capable, and it were legal where I lived, I would consider this. If it doesn't work out, it can always be changed. As for being cooped up, that depends so much on where you live. Where I live, the kids could easily take public transit to the Smithsonian or the National Gallery of Art, walk to the library, go to parks and nature centers on foot or by bus, etc. They wouldn't need to be at home unless that was our rule or...
Honestly, I don't think you need to worry about teaching letters (or shapes, colors, etc.). Letters and the alphabet come up all the time without you needing to do anything special to teach them. At the point when the child is ready to learn how to read, he will probably already know the letters, but if he doesn't, they can be taught then in far less time than it would take to teach them now. I have not done anything in particular to teach my children letters, numbers,...
How long have you been homeschooling? Three weeks How old are your children? 5 and 3. The 3-year-old is in preschool. What grades would they be in? Kindergarten Describe your homeschooling style in 5 words or less: Eclectic. What's your favorite book or piece of curriculum that you have for this year? Einsterns Schwester 1. It's a first-grade German curriculum for native speakers. In things that would be useful to a broader range of people, Math...
Quote: Originally Posted by zeldamomma In other words, while practice is important, it cannot replace understanding and does not necessarily result in understanding. This certainly rings true for me. I'm the one who brought up math in this thread, and I wasn't thinking of elementary school math when I did. I was thinking more of college-level math, where the vast majority of students find that they may understand the professor's lecture...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lillian J I just want to note that this surprised me, because this was not at all the case with my son or with some of his now grown friends. In fact, to the contrary, I saw again and again that less seemed to be more. I think it depends very much on whether you're talking about information or skills. It's relatively easy to learn new information. It's skills that are more difficult. Most people, if they are...
One question that comes to my mind is whether the 3 year old may have unmet needs that don't have anything to do with focused time with you. Does he get enough running around time? Does he get enough social time with other kids? Maybe doing a childcare swap with another family, doing school at the playground for the 5-year-old (so the 3-year-old could run around), or sending the 3-year-old to preschool a couple of mornings a week would help your whole family.
I assume the reason why you can't pull her out of the daycare situation and homeschool her full-time is because of work commitments? If so, what had your plan been for next year? Is there any way you could accelerate that plan and do it this year? Maybe there is another homeschooling family who you could make a childcare arrangement with, instead of having her in this daycare situation?