or Connect

Posts by paxye

Never did it.. I only tore a bit with my 1st (only hospital birth)... nothing with my other three...
We have a TV, we do not have cable or access to any channels but the TV is hooked up to a computer and they can watch movies/videos, surf the net, play games, use the webcam etc... we see the TV as a useful tool... We don't have limits... there are days the TV is on a lot, there are day that it doesn't come on at all...
because I don't enjoy translated books, the selection sucks and they won't do inter-library loans.... I want to move back to Montreal and I would so happy to have a library again...
Yule/Xmas is bigger but not religious at all... Halloween and birthdays are about equal...
Quote: Originally Posted by railyuh I guess I don't see who is saying this. I guess I sometimes hear comments about how homeschoolers in general get to do more "field trip" type excursions and spend more time out and about during the day than kids in school...but I don't see people saying that only unschoolers can fully experience things like running around in the woods or baking bread or whatever else was mentioned before. Maybe I've missed something...
Quote: Originally Posted by laundrycrisis I personally don't think of "deschooling" as something unschoolers do. I suppose one could think of "deschooling" as unschooling for a limited time after leaving an institutional school, before moving into a more structured way of homeschooling. I definitely see it as something unschoolers do... not the kids if they have not been in school before, but the parents... I was in school so I definitely...
Quote: Originally Posted by meetoo Because that is the rhetoric that is spewed a lot. Reading will come when they are ready. They will organically pick up math through day to day life. Etc etc. This is only true some of the time. I have a feeling a lot of it depends on the family true teaching. I have seen families "teach" with out "teaching" I have a feeling that is what a lot of successful unschoolers have done. That is not that way all people take...
Quote: Originally Posted by ReadingMama Reading and writing are skills needed in life whether or not a child wants to learn them. I would handle this with discussions about how learning these skills will enhance my son's life--now and in the future. My take on it would be, "Look, you have lots of freedom in how you live and learn. This is one thing that you'll have to take my word on." I don't buy into a child only having to do what he or she...
Quote: Originally Posted by jessicaSAR Well, if that big picture doesn't matter to you then of course you wouldn't see value in it. I do want my children to have an appreciation of music, and I think learning to play an instrument with considerable skill is a crucial part of that. That big picture is important to me. Same with reading. I want my children to be accomplished readers. I want them comfortable reading classic literature and philosophy, among...
Quote: Originally Posted by jessicaSAR I see the same thing applying to reading and math and other "skills." For those of us who are not extraordinary in our gifts and talents, all those years of missed skill development might really limit our options in life. Maybe I am wrong about this, but it just seems like a big chance to take. I don't see the same thing applying at all... I have seen many children learn to read and do math and other...