or Connect

Posts by paxye

If I am not using steel-cut oats I sometimes just let it soak for an hour or so before cooking or I leave it in the fridge over night and put the pan in the cold oven from the fridge...
I have never used yogourt for baked oatmeal, sounds good though!... I make mine with soy milk, almond milk or coconut milk... really what ever I have on hand... I think rice milk might be too watery. I would be for me... and I wouldn't add water...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lillian J And at some point, as has happened with most or all of the parents of grown kids I know, you find that they've taken control of their own lives and made their own decisions about the whole thing. And that can be pretty amazing and impressive. That is my main goal
Quote: Originally Posted by jessicaSAR Mostly I was just trying to say that if you are a parent (like me, I admit) who is just not ok with your kid not learning certain things by a certain age, then you should probably think long and hard about whether unschooling is right for you. What one's goals are really does determine what is deemed successful. That is a very valid point... I do think that in the long term many of us have the same goals...
Quote: Originally Posted by jessicaSAR I am sorry my post rubs you the wrong way, but I did not say the things you are offended by. USing parents may have an idea of what a well-rounded education is, they have just decided not to impose that idea on their children, but rather to let them lead. Nothing wrong with that, but it seems central to most of the unschooling posts I see here. USers may pick up on vital skills, but they may not (that is sort of...
Quote: Originally Posted by aslyn I am a full supporter of homeschooling..it didnt work for my family but I still support it; but this thread has given me a few questions to ponder so I pose them to all of you. I'm not being snarky in any way I just really find this thread very interesting so please don't be offended! 1. Any kid who has ever seen a show on pbs or nick jr or any of the other kids stations out there, or had any exposure to the outside...
Quote: Originally Posted by jessicaSAR I think this is the crucial point. If you have a specific idea of what a well-rounded, rigorous education is, then unschooling is probably not such a good idea. US'd children may learn many of the things that fit my definition of an excellent education, but, then again, they may not. If you want to ensure that your child has a certain skill set that they can carry into their adult life, and that they can...
Quote: Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys Quicken, Quicken, Quicken. I am lucky in that Dh is an Econ major and loves working with $$ and investments so he has our Quicken spending tracked back to 1997. Every expense. Every time. It helps so much in that we can pull it up at any time and look to see where we're spending and where we can let out the budget a little bit. But you have to be diligent about inputing your expenses every week. It's amazing,...
I love my Corelle and yes they shatter but it doesn't happen often... I get mine at Zellers... once in a while the single pieces go on sale for 50% off... I stock up then...
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie I think the term "unschooling" gives the impression that knowledge and skills are acquired without intent, somehow naturally. As if it will... just happen. Because there is no intentional learning going on. It just kind of floats in there. Now, from what I'm reading here that is not what successful unschoolers are doing. But that impression remains, and not only for me. I think that this blog post is...