or Connect

Posts by happy1nluv

I have a 4 and 6 year old too...  We started with a timeline on posterboard of just family events starting the year I got married -- just weddings and births and a few family moments but things that they'd know...  then we went to a binder timeline.  I printed pages from guesthollow.com http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/timeline.html and we use that as we come across stuff of note.  We're really just starting, but I think the one on the wall is helping...
I want to print some animal cards for classification to follow along our states studies... and i want to do progressive phonics (they're books like the bob books, but more interesting because i read the black words and they read the red words...i know we could do that on the computer, but i like paper books...  esp since it will be used times 4 ;))  I don't print in color often, but there are a few things I'd like it for (not photos -- those i have printed).  But, mostly...
This thread is very reassuring!!  Our favorite things to do are reading books and projects/experiments (which is sometimes me just dumping a bunch of stuff on them and asking them what they can do with it!) and they love to tell stories...  I have lots of doubt, where I feel like we're not doing enough "school-y" stuff -- esp if they're headed to public school sooner or later...   but we're gradually adding in stuff -- and i totally agree about how they pick things up...
So yesterday I was out with my 3 boys by myself and we were gone a while at a popcorn fair.  I JUST realized that I don't usually go far by myself with the boys..  at least, not far enough where I have to pee.  I'm 30+ weeks pg though, so it doesnt take much.   Anyway... I crammed all 4 of us into a handicapped stall so I could pee because I just didnt trust leaving them in the bathroom outside while I was inside (there were 2 doorways - one from the store/one to the...
tankgirl -- that makes a lot of sense.  My kids LOVE storytelling games (we have quite a few varieties) and their stories get better and better every time we play...  My 4 year old's stories now have beginning, middle, and ends - AND usually a problem (or usually a quest) to overcome -- (not that they always make sense but there are identifiable parts) and he's nowhere ready to write anything like it down... in fact, when we do  our letter writing on fridays, I usually...
hey guys My printer decided to stop printing in color (lexmark pro901).  LOVE it for copying/printing black and white because ink cartriges are only 5.00 and i print a LOT.   I have a ton of color stuff that I'm waiting to print because I don't know what to do...and color ink is soooo expensive.  Anyone have any good suggestions?  Do you send yours out somewhere for printing, or use your own printer? And, has anyone found a decent printer with cheap color...
Click on mothering...not the forums part, the main part and you should find them.  And...not silly -- it took me forever to find them too... :)
I toyed with the idea of classical conversations (oh how nice that sounded -- 20  min a day plus a half day out a week and you're done!) ...  but decided it just wasn't for us.  I much prefer picking a few themes and building our week off of those...and I think it shows.  When we dabbled in cc, you could tell i was phoning it in... but this year, we're all having a ball (although I'm still trying to figure out our groove) ... ;)  (but we're not really focussing on the 3...
tjej - i just got that book today and read it right away... i think its AWESOME!!!  I haven't had a chance to read it to my 6 year old yet -- he came down sick this morning...  but, GREAT suggestion!! :)   There's been lots of great suggestions and lots to think about... I know its kind of like asking a biased audience since there's a strong homeschooling population - or at least more tolerant of hsers than the general population here... but, after getting beat up by...
Thanks guys... This is very helpful.  And its nice to see that not everyone is blaming homeschooling.  I honestly think its just something that he will grow out of -- just on his timetable, not mine or the school systems, or the church's.  BUT, i also don't want him being years older than the other kids making his 1st communion either...  He CAN do this.  He HAS done stuff like it... I don't think its stretching him too much.    SO...more specific question for ya. ...