or Connect

Posts by happy1nluv

So, I was reading a blog that quoted susan wise bauer   She used this argument to focus her homeschooling on the 3 r's primarily (and her argument was better than the quote now that im re-reading it)   This bothers me, because I'm not focussing on the 3 r's much.  We get lots of books out of the library, and I pretty much always read on demand.  They like to "read" them themselves (we're talking mostly about the 6 1/2 yr old, but the 4 1/2 yr old too).   We're doing a...
All updated pm's have gone out.  I still haven't heard from a few people that signed up and we're missing quite a few states still...  but, lets start with what we have and go from there...   Let me know if they still come out funky... I could see everything when I sent it, but that doesn't mean you'll all be able to... (yeah - I like computers, but they don't always like me back!!)    :)
updated lists will be going out tonight...   I have everything in an excel spreadsheet -- I have 2 email addresses that I will send as attachments to.  If anyone knows a better way (some of the pms came out funky) please let me know.  Maybe I'll cut/paste into the basic windows text editor first and see if that looks better for posting in a pm?   :)
They won't let me stay in the room with him... I already asked (not that it would be practical for more than a week or two since all my babysitters work at that time and i have the other 2)  There's really no place I can stay with the other two on the grounds, although I could probably see if my dh can hook me up with some sort of tv/computer thing to sit them in the car with for the hour and a half class - so we'd at least be in the parking lot (i dont think thats fair...
Ok... my oldest son is 6.  He has a problem with me leaving...STILL.  He was in daycare for 3 months, from 5-8 mos and that was a disaster.  He tried preschool when he was 4... THAT was a disaster.  We homeschool ...  He will not let me leave.  I'm not sure if this a monster I've created, or if its just him.  And, I don't know how to help him get over it.   He's usually fine at sports kinds of things -- he's doing soccer, and he'll run off and play (he was fine the...
Amy -- I think thats a great idea.  I was hoping to find a resource that would list the highlights - give some book recommendations and have projects listed that we could do, but i dont think im going to find one (thats what i thought sotw would be... a compilation of stories and activities)  ...but its way too world centric for what I want for this year...  So I guess this year we'll wing it, and next year we'll start with sotw 1 and do world history...
It does seem more geared to older kids...  I went back and re-read some of the first book and the language seems like it would grab them more (and its totally for the 6 year old, but anything he does...he brothers NEED to do too...)  I'm just not into that time period right now...    We will totally check out liberty kids - I do remember seeing that on netflix! :)
SO, we started story of the world 3 this year -- we've never done the other sotw's - or any history curriculum before.  My boys are 2, 4, 6 and I thought this one would have a lot of fun hands on projects (I've seen a lot of cool stuff for the first volume - but, I wanted to do a more current time period.  We have lots of great 1800s/1900s farms/fieldtrips and we're planning a trip to colonial williamsburg next year...  so I wanted to prepare/incorporate all of that kind...
We're homeschooling - I have 2, 4, and 6 year old boys and while the 6 year old has definitely calmed down some since he was 4... he's still all over the place and it is one of the things I worry about ALL.THE.TIME.  That said, I think he'd be way worse off in traditional school where he'd be forced to sit for long periods ...  it's a tough call!  HUGS!!
PM's went out.  Please doublecheck that your info is correct and let me know if there is a typo, or if you didn't get one (I had to send it out in batches cause you can only pm 8 people at a time)   :)   Happy postcard making!! Feel free to share any tips/techniques that you're using...