or Connect

Posts by NoHiddenFees

Nine is a great age to start with Lively Latin. Book Big 1 is a very gentle introduction, integrating Roman history, art study, grammar, and derivatives study.
Quote: Originally Posted by pageta If you go to a hospital, they are required to treat you regardless of your ability to pay. So "lots of people currently don't have access to good medical and health information" simply isn't true. You mean I can go to an ER to have a chat about birth control? Or pre- or post-natal care? Or lactation issues? Or about suspected allergies? Or about the everyday mundane issues associated with such conditions as...
If you think your child might need additional practice, I'd recommend the Extra Practice books instead of the tests. More bang for the buck.
Quote: Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl LOF looks like a good supplement. We went through the Beginning Algebra book. My daughter liked the story but wasn't overly impressed with the math. I'm in the process of working through the series and just want to put a plug in for the math. We'll be supplementing at the very least with a proofy Algebra -- I've got a pile of texts from the early '60's -- and AofPS courses, but only because my oldest is...
Mastery of basic arithmetic skills, including long division is necessary before starting LoF: Fractions. Quote: Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak I skimmed the calculus one last night, because that was the first level the book store had, and the story starts with him in College. From what I understand, the fractions (being the first book) starts with him as a 5 year old, so I would hope the dialog would be pared down some. LoF: Fractions...
There are a number of EM posts at the Kitchen Table Math blog (here's a link to all the posts tagged EM). For even more, check out the old KTM blog (often slow loading).
...how to divide words by syllables? It can help with spelling and pronunciation of unfamiliar words. My oldest is using Megawords, a spelling program based on syllables, and I'm very impressed with the results so far. ...how to diagram a sentence? I'm in the "yes to grammar but not enamored with diagramming" camp. The method we use (Michael Clay Thompson's four level analysis) leaves the sentence intact, and the parts never become more important than the whole. ...what...
Quote: Originally Posted by kathymuggle Pick something that gets a lot of rave reviews - Singapore, Miquon, Right Start and Math U See come to mind. Also check out this free program from MEP. It can be used as a standalone curriculum, or as a supplement. It didn't enter my consciousness in time to use its elementary materials with my eldest, but I may use it with my youngest. You can get a password to access the teacher's materials, which are...
Quote: Originally Posted by Roar I'm guessing it was created by a gifted teacher who had developed ideas for many years and wanted to share. It is not in visually fancy - simple black and white drawings and that sort of thing. The activities are just so great though. Ellen McHenry's Carbon Chemistry is fantastic too, and she's working on a follow-up to The Elements. I'm looking forward to Excavating English as well.
Quote: Originally Posted by srlpenny Also, I don't feel like the kids have MASTERED a skill when we finish a unit, they can do their workbook pages independently, but they cannot do the intensive practice books at all. The Intensive Practice books are significantly harder than the Workbooks and assume mastery of the material. You might wish to look into the Extra Practice books instead. I'd also consider taking a break and playing lots of games....