or Connect

Posts by Shelsi

Oh that stinks!  We took advantage of the HS discount a few years ago which they also let us combine with coupons so it was crazy dirt cheap for us to go there.  Have you posted on the California board?  I would post over on the well trained mind forums as well.  I don't blame you for wanting that price - it's so much cheaper than the regular one.  For coupons, besides the magazine, there's almost always people selling the coupons on ebay for a few dollars.  When we went...
I pick and choose for different subjects however much of my music, geography, and history follows the BCP (Baltimore Curriculum Project) which are free lesson plans online that follow the Core Knowledge Series.  It also has art, science, and some math & literature.  It might be something you want to look into and I imagine it certainly must line up with MD standards fairly well since it's used for some of the Baltimore charter schools.  
I sent dd to preschool last year when she was 4 yrs old, not for academics, but for her to get some time away from ds and I.  Since ds is homeschooled dd has always been with us.  I felt like she needed some space to develop her own sense of self.   This year she's HS'd for kindy and we're starting but slowly.  She just turned 5 a few weeks ago.  Yes, I would have sent her to public kindy if that's the route we had chosen but at the same time I can feel she's not...
 True but they don't have many levels out yet.  It possible your child would go faster than they can release them so that's something to be careful of.
I think if you do it independently (and therefore it's not free and you don't get all the free extras) you can totally make it work but it's still really dry.    I used it last year for ds's language arts and even though we did most things orally we still felt like we were drowning in worksheets!  IMO, it's exactly like being in public school but at home.  Now, the good things about it:  it follows the Core Knowledge Sequence which is something we do try to follow in...
Dd just turned 5 a few weeks ago and we'll be doing kindy this year.    We're using The Writing Road to Reading mixed with The Logic of English materials for reading.  The Logic of English Cursive handwriting curriculum for writing.    For history & geography we follow the BCP lessons (Baltimore Curriculum Project, free lesson plans following the Core Knowledge Sequence)   Science is Building Foundations in Scientific Understanding & we're also doing "beach...
Just looking for info, fun things to do, activities for the kids, where to find things like gymnastics for my 5 yr old and martial arts for my 8 yr old, possibly dance for my 8 yr old as well (he did hip hop last year and loved it). So far I've only found 1 homeschool group in the area, are there any others? I prefer a more secular group but we're open to other groups as well. Also if anyone has any sources for fresh eggs? We've lived in a small town in NM for the...
I think I'm a bit different in that I don't think HSing is better than public/private school.  I think it depends on the child and/or the school system.    I never planned on HSing.  My ds went to preschool which he loved and then he went on to kindy.  The kindergarten here was awful - they watched loads of TV (not educational TV either but things like Disney movies which then scared him so bad he couldn't sleep at night) and there were many other small issues that...
We're using Beast Academy this year as a supplement to MUS.  Ds is starting the MUS Delta level but since MUS is mastery there are many concepts he hasn't been introduced to yet so we're starting with 3A on Beast Academy.    When I got it in the mail ds did not want to even look at it (nor does he want to look at any school stuff right now) so I paged through it then put it on the bookshelf.  Later that evening I practically tripped over ds who was sprawled in front...
I would let her have the summer off.  She's just been in public school all year and I'm sure she could use a break.  I think maybe you both need some time off and some unschooling  :)    I pulled my ds out when he was halfway through kindy - he did not go back after xmas break.  One of the hardest things for me personally was getting out of the "ahead or behind" thought process.  Ds was slow to learn to read and I had to constantly remind myself that it was ok if he...