or Connect

Posts by amyamanda

Music activities (lessons/classes/events), though we are frugal within that category and the whole family benefits when one person gets a class or a lesson. Real maple syrup, though we are cane-sugar-free and we buy in bulk from a local farmer. Paperbackswap credits (= books).
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie Don't worry, after inflation comes poverty followed by deflation. Prices will start to go down when we stop borrowing from China, which will happen soon enough. EdnaMarie, I'm guessing your response was somewhat tongue-in-cheek and I would like to understand better what you meant by this statement. I am a firm believer in encouraging people to cultivate optimism and joy no matter what the future might...
It is not fear-mongering; it is fact. The kind of money system that we have across the world is a "fiat" system which means that our money represents the good faith of the governments and the people to honor its value - unlike physically valuable coins, or currencies that represent actual assets like gold/silver, as if a dollar was a coupon that could be redeemed at the bank for those things (as it used to be but no longer is). A "backed" system doesn't have the same...
One more thing I got out of the book (loosely) is that there are two kinds of clutter, "lazy clutter" (like papers that haven't made it into the recycling bin, dirty laundry, etc) and "stored treasures" (you can guess what that is)...and they need two different approaches. So one plan would be to get rid of all the lazy clutter first and then tackle the other. Though I would add that there are three kinds of clutter, one in between those two..."bric-a-brac" the...
Fall just kicks me into gear. Yesterday I did a major push sorting out cold-weather clothes with the kids - hoping to finish up today, as our entire rec room is now covered with bags (to donate) and bins (to put back in storage) and piles (to try on). I was away or working extra all of August, and yesterday I was finally able to start tidying, decluttering, vacuuming, etc after a month of letting things slide. I am reading "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh and got...
Thanks, these are all good ideas to consider. We are not in a hurry to kick the girls out of our bedroom, but after twelve continuous years of sharing our room with kids who are becoming increasingly savvy, DH is really wishing for some privacy for us. I am thinking that when our oldest DD starts showing signs of puberty, that will be the right time, and it makes sense to move both girls out together. They would be happy to have a "girls room" if they had the chance,...
We have a three-bedroom house, but one bedroom is our home office. DH and I both work from home. Currently the boys (10 and 12) have one bedroom, and the girls (6 and 8) share the other bedroom with me and DH. I feel like within about a year it will be time to stop sharing with the girls. The front bedroom is small and has a walk-in closet. That is the room we currently share with the girls (they have bunk beds and we have a queen). I love it. The middle...
Not today specifically, but the weatherization guys are here this week so this weekend I had to declutter our laundry room (success!), organize the highly cluttered garageso they could get access to the attic from there, and remove a bunch of stuff from a currently dysfunctional half-bath that we have been using as a closet. Also we are packing for a big camping vacation, so I had to pull out our camping stuff from storage and organize it, decluttering along the...
Quote: Originally Posted by redvlagrl Weekly lessons on instruments are imperative for good progress, and IMO it's really not worth it to take fortnightly lessons (I've tried this with students over the years). Also, groups lesson are kind of a wate of time unless they are in addition to private lesssons. This may be true for the typical student, but I respectfully disagree that it is imperative for all. As a musician, I effectively homeschool...
Quote: Originally Posted by Usually Curious Kids are different. Some will be content w/the library and free park days; others will need more. I totally agree with this. It is hard sometimes to treat kids as the individuals they are and still feel like things are relatively equitable among them, but I try. My kids all play different instruments. One gets a weekly class, one gets an expensive private lesson every 2-3 weeks, one is self-taught,...