or Connect

Posts by amyamanda

re: homemade lemonade We do something very similar - 2/3 cup maple syrup plus 1 cup lemon juice plus 1 gallon water. It is definitely sweet and lemony enough. Sometimes I dilute it further. Maple syrup is expensive but we have a cane sugar sensitivity and we buy our syrup wholesale from a local farmer. We don't drink it every day but it's so nice to have a little on hot summer days.
I hear you. I struggle to find a balance between doing things with the kids (we homeschool) and pouring myself into work and meal-planning and things like that. As far as activities go, the basic trend has been that they can take a class/activity when they are around 10-11, and only one class that costs money. For DS1 this is a music class, for DS2 this is a circus class. We ask for as much financial aid as we qualify for and we reciprocate by volunteering or being...
Quote: Originally Posted by ChristyMarie I currently have the 5 wooden shelves from my son's linen closet in my garage drying. Tomorrow I'll flip them over and do the other side. They are colored to coordinate with the shower curtain: purple, orange, blue, green and pink. I just finished his closet on Sunday. It is a bright, spring green. A lot like the small round monster in Monster's Inc. I have the first coat of primer on his windows. ...
Thanks for all of your kind words! It gets better...the kids and I were gone for two nights, and DH took it upon himself to paint the bathroom! (pigs apparently do fly) I wonder if it's a factor that a nice, tidy, painted house is sort of inspiring and contagious - DH has done some projects in the past week that I seriously thought would not ever get done. I wonder if he has any other surprises in store... I'm done for awhile. Our calendar this summer is SOOOO...
I am one of those people who got "stuck" where I live - I wanted to move, we can't afford to move anytime in the foreseeable future, and I decided (after seven years of planning to move!) that I had better find a way to love this house after all. This was the last thread where I posted on my project. Here are some links (the "done" photos are first, followed by the "in progress" and a few "before" photos - you might recognize some of the pics from the "clean, clear...
It helps me to remember that no house is perfect, no neighborhood/town/city/state/location is perfect, there are no guarantees about anything. Those situations that you wish you were in would have drawbacks and flaws that you wouldn't see until you were in them. That is just how it goes. Do what you can to love where you are. I'm going through something similar in my house and a change in attitude has done wonders for me (and my house, LOL). The economy is...
Here's an update: The living room/dining room is just about done. There is a patch above the fireplace that needs doing because the fireplace frame used to go all the way up the ceiling in an H shape (faux rustic beams). DH removed the upper half, leaving just the frame and mantel, and now I have to patch, sand, and paint that bit. But otherwise the whole L-shaped room is done. It is lovely and clean looking. Used to be lots of handprints, smudges, and kid wall...
Music experiences for the family - lessons and classes and events and CDs by local musicians. We make careful choices and think of it as an investment (DD gets fiddle lessons every 3 weeks instead of every week; DS gets guitar lessons only sporadically)...if we had to cut these things out, we could still "make music," but we love the things we do so much...
Quote: Originally Posted by marimara I'm talking prices of things, the state of things: like price of a gallon of gas gallon of milk barrel of oil housing prices prices of food availability of food etc. The US is long overdue for a date with austerity. Will it affect us individually? I say yes. Gas prices will go up. Oil prices will go up. Food prices will go up. Luxury items that we take for granted, even things like special...
Quote: Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily Just read through the whole thread. Am I the only person who finds it humorous that the majority of the posters "only" have 2-4 children? Not exactly what I'd call big. But lots of great ideas here! True, but I have found over the years that families who have several close-in-age children can have similar logistical issues to families with lots of kids, and those kinds of logistics just aren't...