or Connect

Posts by amyamanda

Whee! I am feeling very rich. Did the boys' clothes today. Unfortunately my 10yo is suddenly picky about feel and fit of long pants, but he has a couple of pairs and it will be enough. All the other kids are outfitted for summer and thrilled with their "new" clothes. And I am able to pass things along to others, which makes me feel really good. Now the storage tubs are in our playroom and need to be put away. I sometimes leave them out in case we get bags from other...
Quote: Originally Posted by ediesmom fried rice. that ONE carrot left, and a tiny bit of broccoli.....whatever....i throw it in. add the egg for protein....one pan super cheap meal This is me. When we're scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's when we don't have "interesting meat" or fresh veggies or frozen veggies of the kind we like. So my fallback is rice with tamari and whatever veggies we do have and egg or whatever bits of meat we have -...
Today I got my girls' clothes out of storage and the girls tried stuff on and added the new things to their drawers. I still need to get all the laundry done so we can weed out anything too small, not liked, badly stained, or in need of mending. That will have to happen soon. I also need to take a final inventory and make sure everyone has a reasonable number of t-shirts, shorts, jammies, etc. It's still long-johns weather here most of the time, but I decided I...
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan'smom My ds is going to be 5 in the fall....prime time to start different sports/lessons, etc.....and I really can't see myself spending lots of $$ for him to participate (first of all, it's simply not in our budget)......anyone else?? Just to reiterate, we did not do any paid activities until age 10 for the oldest two and age 6-1/2 for the third (her situation was a little different, but it was after the oldest...
I will be honest. Since having my kids, I have developed a perspective on the economy, peak oil, and the future outlook for our lifestyle that has me feeling that if I were to choose family size again, I would choose smaller. I love my kids dearly and would never in a million years trade what I have! It is a scramble, though. DH was recently out of work for over a year. Thankfully we had some resources. It would have been really difficult if we hadn't. You...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie I never really know how to price used books and such. Generally, I let books go fairly cheaply because I'm just happy to be rid of them, but on curriculum I need to get a good price so I can buy next year's books. How do you price used curriculum? For example I have the 2000 Oak Meadow Fourth Grade Syllabus. It's $200 new. The books itself is in great shape, the cover definitely shows some wear and tear. How would...
Quote: Originally Posted by SunRise ** the number you have for music lessons seems very high $50/ lesson! To clarify, or maybe I typed it wrong? One child gets two lessons a month at $25/lesson. One child gets roughly one lesson every month at $40/lesson. We could not afford weekly lessons at that price.
I'm curious about what others do. If you don't mind sharing, I'd like to know what you spend each year, either per kid or as a family, especially if you have older kids. Most classes around here are $15/class, which adds up really fast. Except for things like music lessons and horseback riding, which work out to around $50/hour. We do take advantage of financial aid and barter when we can...but I can't count on always being able to get aid, YK? In the case of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Delicateflower When you look at the "edited by..." it should be a purple link. If you click on it you'll see the old versions of the post and you can C&P your original. Thanks so much, delicateflower! I was able to restore it. I had no idea that feature even existed.
UPDATE: DH went away for a week and so this was the week to dive in headfirst with the painting. I decided to do the hallway first (three levels, basically the most-traveled "area" in the house) and then the playroom (huge, biggest eyesore). These were the two biggest headache projects. I had an experienced friend come stay with me for a few days to help me get started and build confidence. Later in the week I had three other friends come to help also. (Including...