or Connect

Posts by amyamanda

Well the worst of the painting is almost done. My hallway and entryway are a lovely buttercream color, and my playroom is a sunny yellow with white trim. It's amazing how little dings and marks on the walls make a house feel cluttered - and fresh paint helps tidy up the whole feel of the house. It's not all done yet, and there are a number of other rooms needing painting in the coming weeks and months, but this was the biggest part of it. The worst of the ugly is...
Updating to say my friend M has been here for a few days and we have completely prepped and painted the front entryway, with the upstairs and downstairs hallways not far behind, and she has significantly helped me get some momentum going on the painting and some other small fixit projects that need doing. We hit the hardware store... 3 times... and I have everything I need to keep going for awhile after she leaves. Eventually I will need more paint, but that is...
Prudence, you must be north of me...did spring hit you sooner than it hit us? Impossible! Spring hit us today. The doors and windows are actually OPEN and it's supposed to be hot this weekend, like 70s! (BTW, Mama_Love, this is one of the most amusing threads I have read in a long time. Thanks for the borks.) So here is where I am at, after three weeks of a nasty virus that knocked me out and just left.... DH just left today for 10 days of his own kind of fun. ...
I just found out that Lands End kids shoe sizes correspond to women's sizes like this: kids 5 = womens 7 kids 6 = womens 8 kids 7 = womens 9 They currently have mary janes in these sizes in Overstocks for $9.99. I do not think today has a free shipping deal, but they seem to be hitting my inbox several times a week lately. So if you need shoes and like colored mary janes and your shoe size is 9 or under, you could get yourself some cheap nice shoes. They have...
Quote: Originally Posted by Om Girl Tell me about being a one car family... Why? Do you and/or SO work OOH? How do you figure out who has the car? I am interested in hearing about 1 car families and seeing if it is something that we could make work. We did it twice, once for a few months and once for nearly a year. The first time it was because my sister needed a car. The second was because our car died and we couldn't afford to...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie My biggest struggle is bedrooms. I have three boys in one room and the girl in the other, and the boys' room is just really tight. We only have three bedrooms and I really don't want to have to give the master bedroom to the boys. This may be a whole other topic, but I hear you. We have only two bedrooms in our house. Three would at least be do-able long-term. DH and I are planning to move our bed into...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy amber I'm new to the New England area and looking for homeschooling co-op's, resources, friends. We are secular un-schoolers and we live in SE Vermont (Brattleboro). I'd be willing to travel an hour or so if there were co-ops in NW Mass or SW NH or further NW in VT but the closer, the better... We are missing our old connections and friends (we used to be in Philadelphia)! My daughter is almost 4 and I have a 1 year...
Quote: Originally Posted by celestialdreamer I'm leaning towards an even more minimalist amount of items in the house, even if I just pack away the extras rather than give them away. I'm not sure that would even work though, because if I pare down to 1 dish, cup, etc. (an example) for everyone then I'd have to wash dishes by hand after each meal. I can't see that being workable with 4 small kids. Maybe just paring down clothes, kitchen linens and towels...
Quote: Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom Good post Amyamanda. I always like your stuff. Prudence, the appreciation is mutual!
Quote: Originally Posted by MaryLang This thread is AMAZING!!!! I have been struggling with this for a while. We just recently moved into a bigger house (had been 6 living in under 1,000sqft) and with the extra room, I still have so much to get rid of. Toys per kid is a huge problem for me. And clothes are a huge problem, with 3 girls they are always getting passed down, but I don't have a system and sometimes a kid will grow right passed a size I...