or Connect

Posts by amyamanda

Quote: Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom I read the Michael Pollan book "Food Rules" and one of the grandmother quotes he gives is: "It's better to pay the grocer than the doctor." So our grocery bill has gone up, but we are eating healthier so I'm kind of justifying it that way... We actually don't eat a ton of meat -- our salads are HUGE to make up for it -- but I'm finding in Vermont in the winter fresh veggies are a lot more expensive than meat. ...
To echo what others have said, each kid gets their own cup and only has water during the day. I found it easiest for each kid to have a unique cup, because then I would have a clue on where to track down any missing ones. And I could say "bring me your cup if you want a drink" and they usually would. I would use cups with handles and have hooks or a dishrack where everyone always hangs their cup (or I hang it) after it's used. And only water, unless *I* am willing to...
I think it really depends on how curriculum-dependent your style is. We are unschoolers. We currently spend about $140/month on "extracurriculars" for the older three kids (lessons and classes and instrument rentals), $20/month dues for our homeschool co-op (meets once a week during the school year), and maybe an average of $20/month on books or supplies that we may or may not otherwise have bought. We also spend maybe $50/mo on family admission to...
I keep hearing the compact fluorescents are the way to go - IF they are going to be on for a minimum of five minutes. Well, people in our family are sometimes really good at only having a light on for as long as they need it on. They turn on the bathroom light, pee, and it's turned off again in two minutes or less. Other times they forget and the bathroom light gets left on for much longer. LOL. So I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure if compact fluorescents are...
Quote: Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife What about a netbook? It's what I use 90% of the time (I have a 10" Acer Aspire One), and I love it. Much more portable, and cheaper than a full-size laptop (I had a 17" old one that was heavy!) Just another perspective on this: I use a desktop and DH uses a laptop, and I will need a laptop for working while traveling this summer. I was considering buying a netbook because they are cheaper, but DH...
One of the things I do is change recipes to accommodate our standard pantry ingredients. If something I want to make calls for a green vegetable, it has to be green beans, peas, broccoli, chives, or kale. Or peapods in season. If it calls for anything in the onion family, I will use chives or scallions or onions, depending on the season and my pantry supply. Anything that calls for dried fruit gets raisins, unless that would be too weird in the recipe (and then I don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by yukookoo Crock pot meals may be an option but the with lead in crock pots i dont want to be eating out of one every weekend. Lead in crock pots?!?
Quote: Originally Posted by dkenagy Any hints/tips/tricks for someone determined to be a good housekeeper with no such training/role model from childhood on? For a homeschooling mom of going-on-five 7-and-under? Well, I had four 5-and-under at one point...the sheer numbers of little ones underfoot makes for some very challenging housekeeping. Laundry: Mark the kids' clothes with the spot system and they'll be able to help by sorting and...
I am GF (the whole family used to be and they still eat almost no gluten except for a small amount of bread and DH's favorite fallback, frozen burritoes) and we are dairy-free and no-cane-sugar and low soy, and we eat mostly organic/local/natural. I reduce all GF recipes to tapioca flour (cheapest starch) and brown rice flour (cheapest flour) and xanthan gum (used sparingly). I buy tapioca in 10 lb bags and brown rice flour in 25 lb bags. This helps keep our baking cost...
Quote: Originally Posted by velochic Wow! And with all you've been through over the past couple of years! Congratulations! Thanks - it really feels good to know that you noticed. It has been a very interesting and stressful and creative and faith-filled time. The reason we were able to make our cc debt go completely "poof" right now was that DH got paid a chunk for some contract work. He has the possibility of more contracts here and...