or Connect

Posts by amyamanda

Quote: Originally Posted by bobandjess99 Anyway, I wasn't really looking for help really, I'm sorry i went down that path. I wish you had made this clear from the start. I spent more time than I really had responding to your posts and trying to be helpful, and it's frustrating to hear that my time was wasted. I am really sorry that you're in such a frustrating situation.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl I just mean to point out that homes and cars and lunches and whatnot -- they mean nothing. The are not real indicators of wealth or financial stability. So, look to your own balance sheet. That is the one that really matters to you. This is very wise.
Quote: Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy Can you start visiting a food pantry? Sell any extra stuff on Craigslist and ebay? Now that I have just responded to your decluttering post, I take back what I said about not selling stuff. It sounds like you have a lot of stuff in your house that could be sold. It's not too soon to start culling things for a spring yardsale. It sounds like you have a garage where you could sort and store stuff...
I hear you, and I can totally relate. It is so hard to let go of "good stuff"! The fact is, your kids could be happy playing with ALL of their toys even if ALL was fewer. Personally I try to start with the thing that is most overwhelming my space, and often that has been toys. Here are a couple of things I do: - Like the previous poster, anything that is broken or has missing pieces gets discarded. Period. This helps a lot in the early stages of decluttering because...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kinguk You leave the house with one, maybe two, trips to the car and you return home needing seventeen trips to unload the car -- not to mention the crumbs, the random piles of whatever that have accumulated under the seats and I think that's milk sprayed on the side of my rear passenger door. What tricks do you have to keep your car clean!? (Sidenote--I don't have a partner so tag-teaming it isn't an option for...
Quote: Originally Posted by Denvergirlie sure it works, lots of people have given this a whirl... Nice pun!
Quote: Originally Posted by Denvergirlie I have a yellow plastic mop bucket and wringer from home depot for just this purpose. Works fine, might not want to squish the livin' tar out of all clothes, as it will damage the fibers faster, but way better than wringing by hand, even with help. Denvergirlie, do you have the kind that puts the mop through rollers or just squishes it? Any suggestions on choosing a mop bucket?
Quote: Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma Y'know what's funny? I think I remember you posting pics of your house in the "clean, clear, clutter free space" thread a ways back, and thinking how charming your home was. And spotless! Completely clutter free! With four kids! I was amazed. (I hope I have this right and that WAS you. ) Anyway. Paint. You'll be so glad you did. You are right, I did post pictures. Thank you for...
Quote: Originally Posted by treespeak I second a previous posters idea of finding out what's under the old carpeting. Thanks. The main floor has plywood - the house was built in 1969, so no beautiful wood underneath, unfortunately. The rec room is on a concrete slab, so that could be possible for future floor improvement. But that carpet is not a priority to get up - it's the living room floor and kitchen floor that bug me, and those are over...
After several years of holding on to our dream of selling this house and buying land/living in a cabin/building mortgage-free, we're reluctantly putting it on hold indefinitely. The plan had been to sell at a time when we could extract enough equity to buy land (or put at least 50% down, in any case), and then live very simply as we saved and put that money into a smaller, more energy-efficient "forever house." Well, it's probably long overdue for me to officially...