or Connect

Posts by amyamanda

I keep all my produce in the fridge; fruit, too, except for a couple of pears or one melon out ripening at a time. My "green stuff" stays fresh in the garden (kale and lettuce are growing right now and I pick as I need it). When something in the garden ripens all at once, I will do my best to can/freeze what I don't use up right away. Carrots, potatoes, onions, cabbage, garlic all keep for a long time in the fridge. We have an extra fridge/freezer in the garage,...
I should keep better track... I *think* the broth is about a week old but I don't really remember. : It smells yummy still. I figured if I boiled it for 20 minutes... ??? Usually I consider 5-7 days fine for leftovers, especially if they're going to be heated for awhile in the oven, or boiled (soup). How far do you push it? What other foods do you wonder about?
Another thing about drying inside - if you are running a dehumidifier at the same time, you might want to compare the dehumidifier's energy use vs. a dryer's energy use. Our two dehumidifiers are very powerful energy hogs and DH is convinced it's better for us to use the dryer than to air-dry via dehumidifier.
Wow, thanks everyone - that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Lots of good reasons to use it (moderately) and not worry about it. Thank you.
Yesterday was my SPEND DAY. Yes, I get one per month (okay, actually I split it between Saturday and Sunday this month). After DH gets paid, which is on the 15th. I went out Saturday alone for a few errands and then again on Sunday with only the two littles in tow, and we did the month's grocery shopping, which I posted here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...43&postcount=5 All in all I didn't do too bad. Last month was a pretty strict no-spend month for...
Okay, I'll let it all hang out. Don't laugh... This was an extravagant month, in that MANY of our staples are on sale and we decided to spend extra to stock up on them. We were able to shift around our other priorities this month so that we have the cash to buy in bulk. We are gluten-free (except for DH) and dairy-free; we eat meat and eggs. I try to buy organic and local as much as possible. Our local meat farmers have had a shortage of slaughterhouse services...
LOL - I just did my month-shopping today. Will try to come back and post my list later. It will be long. No way around it.
I have organic bacon fat, which I pour off the pan into a canning jar and refrigerate. (I could freeze it if that would be better...anyone know?) I also have very expensive organic extra-virgin olive oil, and some other oil I buy for baking. It seems logical to use the bacon fat in savory things like sauteed veggies, fried rice, etc. Is there some reason I shouldn't? I have had a hard time trying to sift through the info on this.
About online shopping, at least one of the things I need is something I need to "browse" to find exactly what I need...I'd order online but I'm not comfortable doing so if I haven't seen the item, you know? Good idea though, and it would be a good option in many cases. Grace, I think you're right that I am drawing a line short of "all or nothing"...I don't want to support them, but neither do I want to burn up $15 worth of gas to buy $15 worth of sewing supplies...
I do not like Walmart. I do not like anything about it, other than that I've seen a number of people posting that they enjoyed working there. I don't want to give them my money unless I don't have another option that is reasonable for my family. Earlier this year I decided never to shop there again. For many reasons. Primarily because I really value the existence of our small downtown Main Street culture, and I don't want to support an entity which threatens the...