or Connect

Posts by mamakay

What was actually wrong with my first post in this thread?   His response to my OP was essentially him saying "Pshaw." based on an apparently n00b/ignorant view of the issue at hand.   So, whatever.   I only became quasi-hostile after I was blown off.   If Dr Sears wants to parade his ignorance for all of the selective vax world to see, that's his choice.   I really wish he would just look at evidence, tho.

I'm not a fan of the bear hug. I did try it with my challenging kid, but it seemed really cruel, as it totally did freak him out in a very bad way. Like, I think he really convinced himself I was trying to murder him or something. The effect was really bone-chilling, tho.   My kid was closer to 4.5 when consequences like grounding and my modified timeout started being effective. Around that age he was really into certain TV shows, riding his bike up and down the...
  No, I think you're wrong. I got irrationally modspanked regularly just for posting in interesting/heated threads, even tho I was posting mostly arguments against specific vaxes and doing so fairly calmly and cooly. And I never, EVER reported you, Holly, SM, Anne/kathypaul/daffodil/whatever or ANYONE. The "report post" button is for the weak, IMO.   The vax board overmoderation totally hit people arguing against specific vaxes just as hard as it did the people arguing...
  No, I found some of the original 1960's research defining "permissive parenting," and "nonpunitive" is the core aspect of what makes a parenting style permissive. http://persweb.wabash.edu/facstaff/hortonr/articles%20for%20class/baumrind.pdf   I know some people are skeptical that all kids can be parented without spanking, but there are entire countries in Europe (where spanking is illegal) debunking that notion.  
  I guess I think it depends on your kid, and the age of your kid.   I know I don't steal, not because I could get arrested, but rather because I believe that stealing is (generally) wrong. At this point, a LOT of my oldest kid's behaviors are motivated by similar internalized ethics and logical understandings, because he's almost 8 now and old enough to grasp that stuff.   Between ages 2 and 5, he lacked the "please mommy" motivation my youngest has and was just kinda...
I don't think you were trying to be malicious, but your response to my OP was wildly inappropriate considering 1) the evidence I linked to, and 2) the words I typed. Maybe you can look back and admit to that and maybe you can't, but whatever.   Will you please just read the links and consider the evidence?
I don't see punishment/consequences as "retribution". I feel no desire to exact revenge upon anyone under the age of, I dunno, 15, ever, and especially not my own kids (who are almost 8 and 3).   I would be SO into a single "parenting philosophy" if my youngest kid was my only kid. I'm a total softie by nature, and really don't like groundings and timeouts, so with my naturally mellow 3 yo youngest, I just say stuff like "Please don't do that" and explain why, and...
You're supposed to get 2 MMR shots in childhood, and most people have. Why would docs be different? (young docs, I mean. Old docs would probably be naturally immune.)   There's compelling evidence that the mumps part of the MMR sucks, and a third dose is needed (if we're not just going to quit/selective/delay vaxing against mumps, the mildest of the VPDs.)   Is there compelling evidence that the rubella part of the MMR is equally ineffective?  
  What are you seeing as misinformation?