or Connect

Posts by mamakay

The old vaccine with major issues was called the "hib polysaccaride vaccine", and it very quickly quit being used after the new vaccine (the "hib conjugate vaccine") was approved, around 1991, so I don't think those cases of vaccine failure could be because of that. It's more likely that in 1998-2000, there was just still a lot of Hib floating around out there and no vaccine is 100% effective.   Regarding risk factors, I was mostly noticing that young age is no longer the...
The MMR booster is only going to be "reactive" after puberty if the vaccinated person is no longer immune. That's the way live vaccines work.   Imagine that you catch the flu, and give it to a friend when they come to bring you NyQuil at the height of your illness. And then you go to bring them NyQuil a week or two later, after you've recovered and they're sick with the flu they caught from you. You're not going to "react" to being exposed to their flu virus, because...
- we're all regularly colonized with stuff that could turn invasive under the right conditions. With Hib and pneumococcus, a big factor is being newly colonized and then catching something like RSV, a cold virus, flu or flu-like virus, etc. There are also host factors like immunodeficiencies that are genetic, and some viruses cause a transient "mini-AIDS" condition for a little while after you recover. Why colonizing bacteria turn invasive is one of those topics where...
Asking about "vaccines" in general is like asking about "technology" in general.   It's like asking "Should I use technology?"   Every vaccine is different. Some are extremely effective, and some aren't. Some have few if any downsides, some have lots. To make an informed decision, you have to look at it disease by disease and vaccine by vaccine.    
    It gets even worse than that with the pertussis vax and the ACT issue.   Vaxing with the current vax makes the vaxed UNABLE to be immune to ACT compared to the unvaxed:     http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/38/4/502.full       Also (and this is a totally different issue):   http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/277/1690/2017.short      
The pertussis part of the DTaP is "too reactogenic" in kids over 6. More weird swellings at the injection site and stuff like that.   The DT isn't approved in younger kids, but it's exactly the same thing as the DTaP, but just without the pertussis part, so giving it off-label is reasonable.
I'm pretty sure the closest thing to a tetanus only vax is actually the one with diphtheria toxoid in it, too. But it's pretty much being phased out in favor of the TdaP.
I had a lot of luck with "2 second timeouts," where I just asked him to go to his room and count to 2, and then he could come back immediately if he'd just promise to at least try to be more chill. It wasn't punitive and he didn't really mind doing it, but it worked to snap him out of ignoring me, being defiant, and emotionally escalating. It kind of works like a "reset".   Not going to the 2 second timeout is what got him grounded from stuff, but he pretty quickly...
    This exactly . My first kid screamed all the time over everything and nothing for almost 2 and a half years. I don't regret trying everything to make things better, but I really wish someone would have told me that sometimes nothing "works". Some of 'em are just gonna be screamers.   My biggest survival secret was fencing in part of the front yard and making it totally toddler/preschooler-proof and turning the outside hose on "dribble" so he could play with water in...
Are time outs and rewards "not GD?"