or Connect

Posts by EFmom

Easybib is great.  I've evaluated a bunch of them for accuracy, and Easybib is one of the best.  There's also an app that works with the Easybib website that's pretty cool.   You do have to be careful.  Many of the websites and apps are highly inaccurate.  And the student needs to also be familiar with the appropriate style guides because the output of the best of them is only as good as the input.  If you are uploading citations from research databases, the citation...
My best friend's younger sister got pregnant while we were in high school and like the pp, managed to keep it secret from her parents. It was so weird. She was 8 months along and everyone else knew but mom and dad who were in denial. She decided to keep the child after getting 'help' from her church, which dried up pretty quickly after the birth. It was a horror show. She married the father, who got jailed for multiple rapes of various women. She was unequipped to parent...
It isn't just a matter of passing tests, there are credit requirements in my state. He would have to take substantial amounts of additional coursework for each discipline.
I'm not a nurse, but I'd think about it pretty carefully.  While it might seem like "but I'm 40 already!", in reality that means you probably have about 25 years left in the working world, and it sounds like having a BSN would give you more career options.   Dh is a high school science teacher.  It was a second career for him and he felt old when he got into it.  Science is sort of weird in that it's a different certification for earth science, chemistry, bio, and...
I'm completely opposed to uniforms.  I had to attend a horrible catholic school with uniforms as a kid and I hated them so much.  I still can't look at a certain shade of royal blue without getting hives.   It's public school.  If you want your kid to be a clone, send her to private school, complete with uniforms.  Our school has a very reasonable dress code.  I make my kids follow the dress code and we're good.  Yes, some parents don't enforce the dress code and some of...
I'm all for the parties.  They're occasional, so the junk food doesn't bother me.   I've had the situations where the room parent wanted to have their version of "healthy food" and it pretty much all went in the trash.   It is too bad that some people can't let their kids celebrate anything, but that doesn't mean they should get to inflict their celebration-less lifestyle on everyone.
I'm sure they are OK with it.  That doesn't mean that I understand it, though. I've seen too many women whose husbands have walked out or dropped dead suddenly or mismanaged the family finances to ever think this is a good idea.  I've also seen too many women who have no real idea what financial damage they are doing by making themselves very much less competitive and valued in the workplace when they do try to go back to work.  But people are free to make whatever choices...
I'm pretty comfortable in my own decisions and don't really give a hoot about what other people think.  So, I'm not defensive about why I work and I feel no need to explain it to others.  Most men I know don't explain why they work.   I would rather set fire to my own hair than be a SAHM.  I love my kids, but I'm not cut out for that life.  I would be miserable and the kids would be miserable. I have a career that gives me a great deal of satisfaction.  I feel that in...
I don't have a degree in either, but I do work at a university and deal with graduate students and faculty all the time.  Personally, if I were you, I'd be thinking hard about what you hope to use the degree for.  If you are independently wealthy or otherwise don't need to earn a living, obviously then that isn't important.   I hate to be a downer, but here goes...In terms of the job market, a PhD in Anthropology is pretty close to useless, unless you want to be a...
It depends on what you mean by an "ordained minister."  Yes, you can find a website and with a couple of clicks print out a certificate that says you are ordained.  Many people do this in order to perform marriages for friends.  The problem with that is that such a marriage may not hold up to a legal challenge depending on where you are married.   For most religious denominations, ordination happens after a lengthy period studying in seminary, often many years, and...