or Connect

Posts by EFmom

I've got two internationally adopted kids, who are now in their teens.  We have been active in a couple of adoption support groups over the years, and I know a ton of people who have been adopted, adults and kids.   I do think there is a spectrum of reactions to adoption.  There are the very vocal, anti-adoption, primal wound types. I haven't encountered anyone like that in real life, but when I first was researching adoption and came across them on the net, it was an...
You don't need to tan or to burn in order to get enough vitamin D from the sun.
Tanning of any sort increases your risk of skin cancer.  There's nothing safe about it.
I volunteer with a rescue.  Since you have already worked with a behaviorist and the dog is still aggressive, I would also support having him put him down.  He is not a good candidate for rehoming.
I will admit that there has been a certain shrinkage in the Butterfingers department.  If I had seen them in the store to buy them, $100,000 bars would never have survived for the trick or treaters.   As for the organic, healthy, etc., treats, no.  I'm not at all tempted to spend a fortune on nominally healthier junk that most kids won't recognize and probably won't eat.   I'm not a fan of mass distribution of  homemade stuff.  Dh is a teacher and gets homemade treats...
Yes, I'm an atheist also, and I would ask my kid what they meant by it.  I'll bet she's getting pressure from other kids or a family member.   I taught my kids about Christianity the same way as I did any other myth.  As they got older, we started learning about critical thinking, science, evidence and superstition.
I've been a member for a long time, but haven't been very active for years.  First, the level of moderation made the place uninteresting (hint, when the UA longer than Britannica, something is wrong), then there was a weird thing where they started sticking people's posts on facebook without warning. I checked in about a year ago and the board was so slow and so buggy I don't know how anyone stood it.   I just popped in today for the first time since then, and I'm...
I think you have to do some soul searching of your own.  The reality is that the vast majority of Catholics in the US examine the church's teaching and come to a different conclusion.  You might feel you have no choice and continue to have many more kids, despite the toll it takes on you and on your other children.  You might not.   I come from a very large, extended, and largely observant catholic family, although I am not catholic.  None of my myriad sisters, or...
We are saving as much as we possibly can.  We will pay for 4 years at a public, in-state university.  If they take longer or want to go someplace more expensive that isn't covered by grants, they will  need to take loans.  Mine are expected to work summers after they are 16 and save what they make to help.  I don't want them working during the school year.   If they decide to live at home, we will give them what they've saved over room and board to apply to grad school. ...
I just took my teen to the pediatrician for her acne.  It's bad enough on her T-zone and her back that it's really bothering her.  She's very self-conscious and unhappy about it.   The ped prescribed topical generic Retin-A for her face and clindamycin for her back.  The Retin-A was initially very drying, and she had lots of flaking, but it's getting better and her skin is clearing up quite a bit pretty quickly.  The clindamycin is also improving things, but not as...