or Connect

Posts by EFmom

I'd have no problems taking away electronics in that situation.  I'd let the kid earn them back if they started regularly turning the assignments in, and I'd make the initial suspension much shorter than the semester.  We make it clear that electronics aren't a right, they  are a privilege, and school comes first.   I don't have a problem with punishment, either, but I think "consequences" or "punishment"  is semantics.   I have two very different teens and what works...
I think he's doing a moderately good job.  The republicans are intractable, which isn't his fault, and they have  zero interest these days in any compromise.  In his first term he caved in way too much to republicans.   I'm disappointed in some things.  I think his education policies are indistinguishable from Bush's, and they continue to destroy public education.   I am also disappointed that we didn't get universal, single payer health care.    I think he's...
If you don't use the phone much, Tracfone is about as cheap as it gets.  They sell very inexpensive phones, some with triple minutes and as long as you keep the phone active (costs about $120/year) the minutes don't expire.   But if you text a lot, it may well not be your best option, as each text sent or received eats up a third to a half a minute.   I had it for years and if you don't need to contact customer service, it's great.  If you do, it's a nightmare. ...
My nephew and his wife started what was to be a side business making almond milk and selling it at farmers markets.  It's pretty complicated.  In his area, you can't really do this as a home based business, it has to be done in a commercial kitchen, so they have to rent space.  It has totally taken off, so much so that he quit his full-time, reasonably well-paying job.  There is a great deal of record keeping and marketing involved.   I think step one is really...
I'd love to be able to stay up late and sleep in every morning.   But I'm a mature adult, with a career and children to raise and other adult responsibilites.  So I get myself out of bed t 5:15 every morning to get ready for work, and get the kids fed and ready for the bus that comes at 6:45 a.m.   I can choose to whine about it and wallow in my discontent.  Or I can choose to suck it up, appreciate that my kids are thriving and getting a good education and that...
Have you checked recently?  Most public libraries use Overdrive, and up until very recently, Amazon wouldn't allow the Kindle formats on Overdrive, but they've recently changed their minds.  
Maybe $50 month.  I don't drink, but I use a lot of wine in cooking, and will buy the occasional bottle of rum, brandy or kirsch for that purpose.  Dh likes red wine, but tries to drink sulfite free if possible, which limits the bargains.  He also likes good beer.  He doesn't drink much, maybe three-four  drinks a week or so.
I've got mixed feelings.  Hands down, I'd rather have the paper book.  But I do like some of the convenience of ebooks.  When I'm out of  stuff to read, I can usually find something to download from my public library.   I'm in a weird situation.  I'm a librarian, and am heading up a group to start buying more ebooks for our institution, because there is demand and there are some benefits to ebooks.  Our library is a late adapter compared to our peers, but that's fine...
Growing up, while I can't say as I knew details, I knew that my parents were pretty frugal, my dad earned a good living, and they managed to put 6 of us through college and be debt free.  My mom is gone and my dad is in his mid 80s.  I know he has a decent pension and he and my step mother are comfortable, but I don't know details.   I know a little more about my ILs, as dh is executor for their estate, and they talk over their finances with him.   Both sides are...
I've never really understood the idea that even though you disagree about substantial factors within the Catholic church, WE THE PEOPLE are the church.  While that sounds nice, "we the people" are systematically excluded from the power structure, in particular we the people who lack penises.    I live in a very RC area, and many of my family are Catholic.  Parish after parish and Catholic school after school are being closed.  The people raised the money to build...