or Connect

Posts by EFmom

My mother is dead, dad is remarried and is fine.   We are not friends, never have been.  I respect them.  They were reasonably good parents.  I have friends and don't need my parents in that role.  I think being a parent is way more important.
Have you considered the Episcopalian church?   I would ask myself a few hard questions.  Even if you find a group of liberal catholics, how are you going to feel about your financial contributions to the church helping to support things like Proposition 8 and efforts to limit women's access to reproductive health care?   Current Catholic teaching about the fate of non-Christians is murky at best.  See http://www.religioustolerance.org/rcc_salv.htm As someone also...
No, my children are not my friends.  My children are my children.   I love my children and I enjoy spending time with them.  They are amazing people who surprise me with their talents and their personal characteristics all the time.    That still doesn't make them my friends.  I don't want to be their friends, and the parents that I've seen who try to be their kids' friends are doing their kids no favors.  Kids have their own friends and I have no need to compete...
My kid had it when she was a baby.  It was scary, but a round of antibiotics cleared it up immediately.
So these children you want to treat in an equal way, should they be drafted, vote, drive cars, be tried with the same penalties as adults if they commit crimes, purchase alcohol, serve on juries, be able to adopt other children, run for political office or be equal partners in family financial decisions?   It is pretty fundamentally different than treating other "groups" differently.  Everyone goes through the developmental stages of childhood.  One does not change races...
How so what?   There's a host of research on how the brain develops.  A Medline search can point to you the research.  Suffice it to say that the brain continues to change throughout one's lifetime.  Size isn't necessarily the defining factor, and comparatively small amounts of growth and development make a huge difference in cognitive abilities.    As one ages, one is exposed to a greater variety of life experiences, and increased educational experience.  Having...
It would depend on what the thing was, how far away the garage sale was, and whether or not I remembered where it was.  I wouldn't drive more than 10 minutes for something of fairly minimal value.  If it was an expensive item, I'd try to return it.   ITA that many times people just want stuff gone.  I tend to be like that.  I'll give stuff away on CL because I want to post it once and have it disappear.
No, by and large I don't.  
Not so much really.  Children's brains are physiologically different than adult brains.  Maturity is a different issue, but it does tend to increase with age.
I'd be in the "your choices suck" camp.   Children obviously have value and deserve to be treated well.   But they aren't adults, aren't fully developed mentally or physically and don't have much life experience or education.  You could label me as adultist and it wouldn't bother me in the least.    When I see a few examples of successful civilizations that have functioned for extended periods of time with children in charge, perhaps I'd reconsider.  But...