or Connect

Posts by EFmom

I understood that the one party was for his mother. I still do not agree with the "command performance" line of thinking.  If somebody wants to have  a party for his mother, that's lovely and it's nice he was invited.  But the person getting the invitation gets to decide whether to attend.  Dh's family used to try to pull this with us, and it annoyed me to no end.   While you may feel that you get to determine whether a pizza delivery person or a teacher's free time...
I'd have to say other.  I get along with most of them fine, but we aren't close.  I don't see them on a daily basis, although several live in the same town.  I have one sister who is a raging conservative, who fortunately lives across the country.  We have a good email relationship because I can ignore her political rants, but if we lived closer, I'd want to choke her, if that makes any sense.
I've got five SILs.  I get along with them OK.  We aren't bffs, nor do any of us expect that.  We aren't in each other's lives all the time. Some live near and some live far.  A few I like very much, and I few probably aren't people I would choose as friends.  On dh's side, I like my SIL's better than I like his brothers. 
I agree with this.  I would never expect anybody to take  a day off work to attend a party, no matter who it was for.  Actually, as a working out of the home parent, I find these sorts of expectations very unreasonable.   And I surely wouldn't be bent out of shape over anybody not coming to my kid's birthday party.  Kid parties just aren't that interesting for most adults, unless you happen to be the parent throwing the party.   I think it's hard for many parents of...
I rarely pop in these days and it's absolutely the slowness of the boards and the increasingly intrusive advertising.  I was also really taken aback when they started putting certain threads on facebook, and having mods post almost trolling threads to get people to respond to controversial topics.  I was thrilled to death when they stopped overmoderating.
I haven't been on MDC much in the  last few months, but just looked at this thread.    Prairiemommy, I am so sorry your surgery was so awful.  Unspeakable.   I'm an old timer as far as the aromatase inhibitors go.  I was premenopausal before chemo, and was on Tamoxifen for two years after.  I've been on Femara for about three and a half years now.  I had pretty bad joint pain at first, which is somewhat better now.  I've also had increasing osteopenia.  After my...
I have two and have zero interest in having any more.  Dh and I came from large families, and we don't want that.  The reasons are myriad.    I think two is a good dynamic.  Our kids are involved in a lot of afterschool activities, and we divide the duties most nights without too much difficulty.  The kids get enough attention which is huge for us.  We both work out of the home full time and don't need anything added to the second shift, which is busy enough as it...
I hate being asked to bring a dish. I never show up empty handed, but bringing a bottle of wine or candy as a gift  is different than being expected to bring the food for a meal.  I have one SIL who is a foodie, and will actually tell you exactly what to bring and what recipe to use when you make it!  Last Christmas, she made me make this insanely complicated cheesy potato dish with very expensive ingredients, that tasted exactly like your run of the mill scalloped...
I would repeal it completely.  I see no upside whatsoever.  It has taken the education right out of teaching.  The amount of time that is squandered on teaching to the tests is insane.  I've got one kid, who is a straight A honor student, who gets so torqued up about the testing that she routinely vomits the night before the tests.   Dh is a public school teacher.  The standardized tests are meaningless.  They are manipulated routinely to obtain the outcomes that are...
Schools trump how much we like the house, hands down.   I also would not buy a house with the idea that we'd move in 6 years or that 6 years is a long way in the future.  Six years goes by pretty quickly and with the housing market fluctuating, who knows what it will be like in 6 years.  I know lots of people who are stuck in their houses because they are upside down in their mortgage.