or Connect

Posts by EFmom

I'm an atheist who was raised Catholic and who explored other Christian denominations.   The nature of the Christian god is one of the reasons I found Christianity unconvincing, although I really think your god shouldn't need you to defend him.  The OT is full of stories of a  vengeful deity who is pretty indifferent to suffering and perfectly willing to slaughter innocents abundantly.  This is the god who is supposedly unchanging.    There are too many mental...

I'm sure there is a small group of believers who paid to do all the advertising, but personally, I don't know anyone, Christian or not, who thought it was anything but a source of humor.   There is a long history of folks predicting this kind of thing.  Camping is just the latest.  Some, I'm sure, genuinely do believe that they know when the end is coming, and others who were in it for the money or for the attention.
For dd13: About $200 for violin lessons.  Another $500/year for a regional orchestra fee, and $500 for two weeks of music camp, and miscellaneous recital fees.  We just bought $4,000 violin, so no more monthly rentals.  We just finished a Tae Kwon Do contract, which was $110/month.  She's trying to decide whether or not to continue for second degree black belt, but she'll be starting high school next year, and the greedy guy who runs the TKD place will only allow us to...
I'll be honest.  I hate entertaining vegetarians or people who won't eat certain things.  I don't much enjoy entertaining, period, but that puts me over the top.   I would much rather we meet at a restaurant.  Would that work for your MIL?
I would assume Caraway was her last name.  I have never heard it used as a given name and to me it doesn't  sound at all like a given name.  If I met you in the context you describe, I would respond as people do.  I would not be trying to offend you, I simply wouldn't understand.
Daily, at least.  In hot weather, sometimes twice.   If I don't shower, I cannot stand myself.  It's not that I smell or anything, I just feel disgusting.
I'm an atheist who was raised catholic.  I don't think the fact the two of you were both christian when you married matters.  People change in all sorts of things over the course of many years, spirituality often being one of them.   I don't know how you could present it any other way than "this is what some people believe, Daddy being one of them."  I don't see at all how that's condescending, when you also teach her that some people don't believe in god, and mommy...
There are situations where I would consider one parent cutting hours or switching jobs to have more time with the kids, but I would not do it in your position, given that you are a SAHM, and the pay would put you in an uncomfortable financial position.
I agree with the pps in that you don't need to figure this all out today.   But to anywer your question... I'm an atheist, raised RC, tried a few Protestant denominations, and UU.   I don't think there is "a purpose" per se.  I think we are biological organisms, the result of evolution.  Now, the human race does have a greater awareness and intelligence that we can use for any number of purposes.  Personally, I think that making the world a better place for the...