or Connect

Posts by EFmom

It strikes me as unbelievable that some people think that writing a thank you note to people who have shopped for and purchased you a gift is an unreasonable burden.  A little gratitude for the gift is a more appropriate response than self-pity that you might have to spend a few hours writing thank you notes, and yes, addressing the envelopes.
I would prefer that they added to the down payment to cover the difference in purchase price between a house we'd get for ourselves and the larger house with an inlaw area.   A very good friend of mine expanded her home to add an inlaw apartment for her mother.  The mother was supposed to move in (three hours away from where she had been) and pay monthly rent.  The mother moved in and hated living with her, and moved out within 6 six months.  The whole thing was a...
Oooohh, rudeness and stupid games all in one!  Love it!  
I hate them for a few reasons.  I don't like the women only ones--the sexist overtones bother me.  I don't like bachelor/bachelorette parties, either.  When I got married 30 years ago, I didn't want a shower.  My SIL insisted.  I really didn't want a ladies-only shower, but that's what I got as a surprise.  Grrrr.   If there are games, it makes me want to vomit.    In general, they are boring, and a monument to conspicuous consumption.  For most of the showers that I've...
Oh, I agree that you don't want to burn bridges and you need to manage your image.    But I grew up in the tail end of the era when companies were loyal to employees.  Today, they just overwhelmingly aren't.  If the quarter's profits are down, they have layoffs to trim expenses.  If they quarter's profits are up, the celebrate by cutting ten percent of the workforce.  There is no long term relationship, which went the way of the traditional pension.  The major employer...
Personally, I'd take it and keep looking.  The thing is, lots of companies won't even interview people who have been unemployed for over six months.  The just trash those resumes immediately.   I was laid off during our last major recession, and was looking for full time employment.  I took what was a ten hour a week consulting job, over an hour away.  The hours started to increase right away and it turned into a very good full time job as a salaried employee in...
  When you call the other mother to interrogate her about why your kid wasn't invited, you've crossed the line into entitlement.     Nobody wants to see their child hurt. But I seriously doubt the intent of the birthday child was to hurt anyone's feelings. I cannot, nor should I, shelter my child from every disappointment in life. It's part of the human condition and she needs to learn how to deal with it when it occurs. If she were being bullied, I'd intervene because...
I can't imagine calling up another mother to grill her about why my kid wasn't invited to a party.  Neither can I imagine receiving such a call, and I'd think it was pretty rude of the caller.  The host of the party decides who is invited.  Guests, potential guests and potential guests' mothers do not.    I understand that feelings can be unintentionally hurt.  But I think the most constructive way to deal with this situation is to talk to my child about the...
I'm seriously amazed by this thread.  No, I do not pee in the shower.  Yes, I think it's disgusting.  I had no idea civilized people do this.  Now I'm going to have to interrogate my family members and any houseguests we have before I let them in the shower ever again. 
In the first situation, I would probably wear pants or capris and a loose cotton weave shirt.  I would try not to scandalize anyone, but I don't think I'd adopt the local dress.  As a pp mentioned, I would feel like I was wearing a costume. I will also admit that I would not feel at all comfortable visiting places where it would be illegal or completely unacceptable for me to not be completely covered, and I would not go to such a place.    In the second instance, I...