or Connect

Posts by mauimama5

My 19 year old (ADHD, BI-Polar,Tourettes, Anxiety)  Just got his first real job.  He studied Culinary all through High School.  His hard work and skill landed him a job in the kitchen of a very trendy, farm to table local restaurant.  He was hired as dishwasher/prep and has already been promoted to Prep/Line.  He had some rough moments in the beginning.  New things are hard for him.  But it has been about 5 weeks now and he is still working.  He also renting a room in a...
update above :)
Our 8yr old has sensory issues. Tags, the seam of socks, lumps in food, these are always issues.  But last winter he would literally only wear one pair of pants.  For months.  One pair of soft long john pants.  He would curl up under a blanket naked so we could wash them. We bought him other ones but they didn't feel right.  (He also has some issues with obsessive behavior) Eventually I found him some fleece pajama bottoms and he would wear those. I tried lots of...
Oh gosh....we heard that so many times from the principal of our son's school.  He was basically treated like he was deliberately being disruptive. "He's so smart he could control his behavior if he wanted to. "    This was a decade ago in Hawaii.  I would hope the world is a little more aware now.  But maybe not.    My son had a lot of vocal and motor tics.  We tried Staterra but he couldn't ever get past the first month on it.  I don't know what they are giving...
Yes, of course there must be consequences to bad behavior/choices. But trying to discipline when they are in the middle of a rage attack or other type of melt down is pointless.  In that moment the goal should be to keep everybody safe, including them.  I think Imacerka said it very well.    And sometimes you have to do tough love.  But with the bipolar child what works will always be changing and evolving.  What worked last month might not be effective...
Today was my son's first session.  I wasn't impressed. When my husband asked him how it went, our son responded that it "sucked".   :-(  Pretty serious word for him.   When we got there I was surprised to find another child there as well.  They both sat in front of the monitor with their own set of headsets. The kids shared a mouse.  My son had to reach over the little girl to use it on his turns. The SP was on the very corner of the screen.    Mostly they played...
And thank you for the links!  :)  
Emmeline, I did ask a few questions, but mostly, they don't have good answers yet. It's "new" and they aren't sure, and someone more knowledgeable will be available at our IEP.      Devon, I agree...it sounds horrid.  My only other option is to drive 2 hours each way to another town for ST through our insurance. Although Scottish Rites helped my son when he was preschool age.  they are opening up again in our area.  If all else fails maybe they can offer them some...
Updated to say:  It is now March.  Our first therapist was terrible.  She had a very heavy accent and although her English was good there were some issues.  Such as say "Shishors"  instead of scissors.  Then my daughter started saying shishors instead of scissors.  :(  Also she would just pass over things even though my kids hadn't even said the right sound or even the right word. So we had a meeting and we were able to get switched to another ST.  But still on the...
  Hi :) We home school our 6 kids.   Our 6yr old has had pretty intense speech issues.  I am struggling on how to teach him to read. He knows all of his capital letters and a couple lowercase.  He can spell No, Ho-ho-ho, and Charlie. In all caps. That said he still forgets how to spell his name.  Most days he remembers, some days he forgets.  This memory recall issue happens fairly often in his life. The info is in there but he misplaces it for a bit. It took 2 years...