or Connect

Posts by Bekka

:)  I got my bachelors in biological sciences.  Her dad did 9 years graduate study in physics.  He chose private industry instead of academia.  We can give real-world examples of what you can do with a science degree. :)
The takeaway for me is that we went ahead and worked for that effort that we thought together with our daughter would be most interesting and challenging, and were pleasantly surprised at how the teacher comported herself.  Both my 8th grader and 6th grader had the same math teacher.  It's been a math kind of year.  :)
I don't think my situation is precisely the same as yours, but my 6th grader is just finishing taking Algebra I.  Her 5th grade teacher noticed a high aptitude in math in a cadre of his students, and he ended up putting them through the equivalent of pre-algebra as well as finishing the 5th grade curriculum.  All the 5th graders took the algebra readiness exam, and about eight 5th graders from her school showed aptitude for Algebra I.  We dialogued extensively with the...
In light of this discussion, I've just begun reading about the life of George Eliot.  She sounds like a brilliant woman, at a time when women did not go to university, and she sought out tutors and teachers and learned many languages, and spoke with religious leaders, and had her finger on the pulse of the political dynamics of her country.  She is fascinating to read about!  People sought her out to speak with her.  So what is the possibility of gaining a "liberal arts"...
There is an attendant thing to consider--many universities do not offer research opportunities to students who do not qualify for work-study.  My husband had this issue.  He had to look outside our uni for good research opportunities in summer programs.  He did great overall, and loved his education, but considers that a minus of his experience.
I was able to take a graduate level Russian course as an undergrad at USC.  They "let" me take the first semester graduate seminar as a senior to fill my last upper division requirement.  I worked really hard.  I majored in Russian.  Columbia U has a good program as well, but it's been several years since I applied to grad school in Russian (chose not to continue).  Slavic depts tend to be small as well, so you want to be sure she likes the fakultet.  She also should...
Thanks!  Lawrence University has come up on my radar a couple of rounds but I had no opinions of it b/c I knew no one who went there.  It sounds great, including a music program.
She is interested in physical sciences, probably major in physics, although she's saying chemistry is really interesting too. She's a serious violinist, but probably doesn't want to pursue it as a career--instead she'd like to minor or major as a liberal arts music major/minor. She LOVES Latin and Classics studies, and I could see her with a triple major, or 2 majors/1 minor, or 1 major/2 minors.  We'll see what bubbles up as her biggest love, or maybe something else...
I know that some of my friends did NOT love 'SC.  Your experience is not the same as either mine or my husband's.  It could have something to do with the programs we were in, etc.  I know that some of my siblings would NOT have benefited from USC as well.  I'm sorry that you felt your experience was impersonal and you choose not to have contact with USC.   I think it goes to show that not all unis/colleges are right for everyone.  Hence my choice to start researching...
Good discussion.  In the circles I move in, many of my friends either attended one of a couple church-sponsored schools or have been homeschooled/have homeschooled and they or their children have followed alternative paths to education (College Plus).  I am very interested in many paths to education, but my oldest daughter is a knowledge and information sponge, and she is really the type to benefit from a liberal arts AND sciences-type education that delves into why and...