or Connect

Posts by Bekka

I have 5 kids and 3 in school. I don't miss them. It never occurred to me to miss them. I really enjoy the summers, having them at home and being able to do stuff like picnics and stuff. But I'm happy for the routine in Sept and they're happy for the routine and structure, I think. They learn all the time; I wouldn't say that I think their learning atrophies over the summer. I struggle with the time school takes up in their afternoons and evenings. The...
My children are in 1st, 5th and 7th grades, and I don't know how much of the Constitution they have learned. In 4th grade they talk about the Virginia document (can't remember what it was called) that inspired the declaration of independence, and our kids have learned the preamble for fun, but I don't know what exposure Virginia's curriculum has for the constitution. They ask questions like "how old do you have to be to be president," and so we get out our copy of the...
Honestly I can't remember what we learned about the Constitution when, in middle/high school. Our school had US History in 10th grade, and US Govt. in 11th grade, and we learned in detail all about the structure of the govt., legislative, etc. and I think the constitution study went along with that. I learned the absolute MOST about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights when I was doing speech and LD debate, and learned how to frame an argument, and we loved it when...
My kids are in a *non-profit* aikido dojo (dh is too). We pay a flat rate, we can go to the children's class once or twice a week. We go twice in the summer and once in the winter. It is a very gentle martial art. It is as much as we want to get out of it, and if we miss 2 weeks in a row, there is no stress. They would LIKE us to come twice a week and practice every day, but understand the reality. We drive 35 min for this dojo, and really appreciate the relaxed...
I have the talkative student. We call talking her language of love. She's always even at 12 constantly being reminded by her teachers (spouses) to play now, and "tell it with the music." She is very analytical and wants to define something verbally and how something is "like something else." It's really cute, but has caused some struggles especially when she was younger. But she LOVES her teachers, and "fell in love" with them (her words) when she was 6. I've...
Oh, yes, I forgot about the school snack thing. I came up in arms because the 1st grade teacher was lackadaisical about a snack and I basically said, "If you don't want a screaming lunatic by lunchtime you had better plan a snack time every.single.day." I would insist on a second snack if she needed it--even if you got the doctor involved. If Saturday goes better with snacks in the morning and the afternoon, you may be able to get a dr. order for food! I'm interested...
The other thing I'd say is also to moderate your reaction. Strangely, being sympathetic always fed the "I feel bad, I can't cope, etc." I just had to be very matter-of-fact: "I'm sorry that you feel ________. It's still not OK for you to (yell/hit/scream). You need to sit on the dining room chair and eat your protein snack before I talk with you. Oh, eggs are good too, but my "highly sensitive children" haven't liked eggs as a 1st grader.
Quote: Originally Posted by quaz Much in your description reminds me of my 8 year old. Items I have suspected... SPD/Sensory issues I have considered Asperger's as well. I don't think it really fits, but there are some items that make me think there are some border line spectrum items. The anxiety can be a big part of asperger's. The sensory stuff too. I read input on Asperger's kids, just because I can use some of it. Have you tried HALT? If...
We call it verbal diarrhea.
Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just asked my mom if she's ok with having my kids 5 days in a row and she said OK! I won't be staying at the hotel... with my parents in Salem...