or Connect

Posts by Bekka

Me too!  I used to post quite often here, but I feel like I am drowning often and have also been at 3 births and I am behind on my homework and home responsibilities.  I have 5 kids, after all.  I have all my certifications coming up this year, and so I'm going to NNR with Karen Strange in March and have to take the online exam 2 weeks before, and CPR in a couple of weeks.  And kids who need a nap still, and me too.  Keep trying!  I'm sure we'll return to lively...
I have taken pants for multiple of my slim children and put elastic in the *front* part of the waistband when just the back was elasticized.  This let me make use of "hand-me-down" skirts and jeans for my girls.  I had bought slims for my 11 year old for a long, long time, and she got a butt this year, and I had to send the ON slims back and exchange for 12 reg. which is perfect.  She does NOT like skinny jeans at all and just wants "regular" jeans.  The fit she likes...
I always had the baby sleeping in "the furthest away from the noise."  And set them up to do something cool, like play dough or a (short) video, stickers, crayons, build with legos, etc. to keep busy for 30 min while I help get the baby settled.  Not always perfect, sometimes baby gets awakened, but a lot of times, they really do learn to be quiet.  Also I timed my morning errands so the baby would take morning nap in the car a lot. Even 30 min is better than none.
Also, I didn't vote, because I liked school.  Looking back I had a few experiences that were negative, but in general I did well in a school environment and my parents really encouraged lateral learning, music, and sports.  We played outside a lot, learned to sew, and I did terribly at softball.   One thing that I am NOT afraid of is being "that parent."  I speak up promptly for my children.  I don't think that my learning experiences color my expectations.  My...
Eighth grade was my savior year.  I had an amazing life-changing teacher for science, who challenged a few of us to the maximum.  I was able to take algebra I in 8th grade, which was probably the right amount of "honors" or "acceleration."  My MS kids are accelerated more in math than I was.  Really though, even though 7th grade was a bomb socially, I enjoyed several of my classes--English, math, social studies, and science were all good classes in 7th.     Actually,...
We have a 7 passenger Dodge Grand Caravan with captains chairs in the 2nd row.  I don't know what I would choose now; this is what was in our price range.  It gets a little cozy for the kids in back, but the bucket seats in the middle make it easy to do rear-facing.  *It would be hard to have 2 rear facing carseats.**  Our kids are far enough apart that we only ever had 1 in rear-facing, and we went to 24 months for rear-facing.
To help with feeling full, you need to replace with the type of food that you had before.  Looks like you haven't cut out chicken or turkey; you could cook a whole chicken and a whole turkey, and then chill them and chop or shred them up into pieces to have in the fridge.  Since cheese is protein AND fat, you also need to add more fat to your diet; coconut oil sounds like a good option since you like the coconut milk...  Some people eat it right off the spoon.  Or you...
My kids dislike running laps.  They are active kids and the one kid who was a sitter learned that martial arts count as a "sport" and changed her identity as a non-active kid.  They all learned to ride bikes that year too.   My kids in general have disliked the PE teachers in elementary and have both widely acclaimed the PE teachers in the middle school because they do ALL KINDS of things to show the kids that being active is fun, like obstacle course, etc.  They...
My kids elementary specials Gr 1-5 are:   Spanish 1x/week Art 1x/week PE 3x/week Library 1x/week Music 2x/week Computer 1x/week Also have 1 day/week GATE type classes all day grades 4 and 5.   We are in a school district that spends a lot of money.  Student to teacher ratio is <24 avg (which means you can have all 5th grade classes have 29 students when the school is full).   Middle school starts in 6th grade.
All my children had strong necks and could raise their heads off the bed/bassinet/table when they were on their stomachs.  Two of them really preferred looking out at the world.  I didn't know about slings with the first 2, and they were too tiny to face out with a Snugli, so I tried to face them in and they hated it; my son loved kangaroo carry in a sling and looking out from 6 or 7 weeks, really as soon as his head could do it.  Then I just regularly used that carry or...