or Connect

Posts by Bekka

Well, it seems like you have some good suggestions for his actual attachments; as far as the size of variability in his reactions to things, I have 3 children who must eat protein about 5x per day (would have a hard time being vegetarian...) to keep their blood sugar in balance.  It took me until dd2 was in 1st grade to correlate her 5 years of violent tantrums with her food, but we finally did, and insist on them choosing a protein snack (meat, cheese, yogurt, nuts,...
Thanks for the responses.  I think I will look for some fine tipped markers in lots of colors he could write his words with for one of the days.  What would be a smoother write?  Gel pens or markers?  Also, he can learn to use the computer.   I'm not too worried about his math assignment.  It's just 2 pages in a workbook each week and he gets it done in 10 min.  He is supposed to sort his words into categories "certain and certainty" and "normal and normality" which...
I think this is the best forum to post this query in because it has to do with asynchronous development.  DS is 7 and is in 2nd grade.  Just attended his p/t conference and we hit a brick wall with his teacher who "doesn't want him to miss out on practice time" for his homework and wants him to write out the "sort" of all his vocab words every night.  In passing she mentioned that his words were from a 5th grade list (we don't get that sort of info from public school...
I have come to the place you are at in the last couple of years.  My home does NOT need anymore happy meal toys, etc.  We have done one big thing or a craft to take home; this year I was going to do screened t-shirts for dd's party but ran out of time.  They still had fun with no "prize."
ALL my children have hated having their hair washed between age 1 and age 7.  I think the youngest one would have been fine if she hadn't been socialized by her sibs to weep and wail during her bath, but I have 5 and can't do 1 at a time.  We just have to power through washup time.
My daughter had issues early last year with one kid at the bus stop and I wish I had taken a much stronger position.  She learned to ignore it and it went away, but I still wish I had taken a harder line with the situation.  IDK what I would have done in your situation; I think the police as well.  Hope your kids can feel safe.
DD has qualified for the CTY program through Johns Hopkins.  She really wants to do one of their in-person summer programs.  She has a really full plate, though all the time!  ;)  Also, it is very expensive for those 3 week programs; about $3000.  She also qualifies for any of their self-directed/online programs, but has opportunities in school for the actual academics; was interested in the computer programming type course, but did not feel she had enough time this last...
Well, I haven't read all of those, but we like the Care and Keeping of You.  It is the best product put out by American Girl, even though we like lots of their other stuff.  I don't consider it wasted money.
We are pretty strict about social media.  Our older children are 11 and 13.  They are not allowed to be on FB until they are 16.  They will friend me, we will read the websites they go to, etc.  At this point we have a verbal discussion about where they go on the Internet:  "Mom, can I go on DIsney.com to play games?" or  "Mom, I need to research echidnas for my science class.  Can I do a Google search?"   We consider online stuff to be public.  They will be taught...
I wear women's size 10.5 (hard to find) mostly.  My feet were size 10 when I was 10. DD is 13, wearing women's 7 or 7.5.  Her feet stopped here last year. DD2 is 11, wearing kids' size 4.5.  I'm expecting her feet to get bigger quickly this year. DS is 7 1/2, and has very short feet--I just bought him 13 1/2. DD3 is 5, and has tiny feet, wears size 8.5.  Size 9 is too big.  I have a bag full of size 10 little girl shoes waiting for her to grow!  I keep buying...