or Connect

Posts by Bekka

So, there are a lot of nerds in NOVA, for sure.  DH and I count, but I never wanted children's books in Latin until now...  DD is a Latin nerd...  Well, she's 13, but picturing Dr. Seuss in Latin right about now...  We own several of the Teaching Company courses...  DH in particular likes a couple of the profs.  They are centered here in Northern Virginia, as well.  I started midwifery school and I have less time for watching/listening to a lecture from TC :(  but I...
Yes to the logic explanations.  It works for some kids but not all.  But usually the eldest, IME.  I'm sorry your littles had been stung by many bees...  
I was this kid.  I wasn't 7, but I was about 9 and 10, and I was reading my parents' parenting books, and I even knew they took a parenting class (free resource, etc.) and I frequently told them they weren't doing it "the way it should be done."  :)  I challenged, debated, argued and generally tried to prove my point.  Not so much of a battle of wills, as a battle of logic.  (I have this child now...)  Keep all the messages coming--positive, loving, supportive; but...
This may not be what you're looking for; but basically my girls look at their shirts, and if they're that thin, then the put a whole cami under the shirt.  I found some cute double-lined camis at Old Navy for dd1 and they have lace at the top, and so it's almost like a cami with a shelf bra/double lined.  Now she wears a bra too, but for a long time she wore EITHER a cami-type bra OR a full cami with the chest part lined.  
You don't have to wean first, IMO.  I have a 2 1/2 year old who still nurses 2x per day, and I attended my first birth last year as a student.  She was about 16 months old.  I started leaving her all day with dad for a schoolday when she was 8 months old.  The key was to leave some food that she could eat, and then she could nurse when I got home.  What if your partner or care provider could bring the baby while you're at the birth?  Then take her back away after...
When I had 2 under 2, it got better when I had 2 under 3.  
Met the teacher today--she sounds MUCH more open to 6th graders than what I had heard; the 6th graders have been grouped in 1 or 2 classes; dd has a couple of friends in her Algebra class and the teacher made a note to *let them sit together*...  I am franklyl relieved.  She told dd how much she enjoyed having dd1 (and how much she looks forward to teaching dd1's sister).  It will be fun for her from a "psychological" POV--dd1 will be taking geometry from her at the same...
Interestingly, she always thought she was bad at math, or at least didn't like it until near the end of 4th grade.  We got a medical condition treated (absence seizures) and her attention improved by leaps and bounds, and the teachers stopped focusing so much on speed tests (boy do I have issues with that)...  and like I said, her awesome 5th grade teacher challenged the whole class and many of his kids (like 7 out of 28) will be taking algebra this year.  And she likes...
Also interested in that series if we should need to purchase a textbook, Miranda!  I haven't always been interested in homeschooling curriculum materials, mostly using the library and references and the internet to extensively supplement our children's learning, but that sounds like a good "focus" for that series for my children!  We might get the alg 1 book and see if it's a helpful reference.  
Thanks for the responses.  Like I said, her older sister just finished Alg, and is happy to help her as well; and we are happy to coach her through struggles if necessary.  I just don't want her to get to, say, Alg. 2/Trig in 2 years later and fall apart.  The nice thing is that we have an expunge option for her grade.  But I don't think she'd totally bomb.  It will go on her HS transcript, and that is a bit daunting at this point!  She is definitely a youngER 11, turned...