or Connect

Posts by Bekka

It's not like FB where you can just "like" the comment!  LOL!   I forgot to say that I am considering the Mercy-in-Action program in the Phillippines for a month or so, but not for a couple of years until my toddler gets about KG age.  I feel like this will be a really different perspective I will appreciate.
I like phatui's technique here.  I have a science background and have worked in hospital in cardiology as a tech.   My road to midwifery has been:   participating in a grassroots breastfeeding organization helping moms working toward becoming a BirthWorks CBE, including the workshop training neonatal resuscitation with Karen Strange Waterbirth workshop with Barbara Harper Midwifery Today conference CPR certification working toward completion of...
  With all due respect, in many residency programs, OB residents gain a fear-based professional intuition, not a respect for how the process is supposed to work most of the time.  The OB that I interviewed for my second birth used the excuse that they used interventions to "keep from getting behind the 8 ball."  The OB residents seldom are exposed to a birth in which "the process" is allowed to progress physiologically, without being augmented, water broken, induction,...
I was curious about whether my preceptor thought the NARM requirements were minimal, and she agreed with that statement.  I was interested in that.  I am certain, especially after experiencing a sick baby at my 7th birth with her, that I really feel like I need more like 75 or 80 births before going "on my own."  I'm planning to apprentice with my local midwives (have started) and I'm planning at least 2 away programs for training opportunities, trying to see birth in...
I also am planning on doing the PEP process.  I have not started getting any signatures yet, although I probably can at this point for "active participant" births.  My midwife trainers are both CPMs and OK for signatures, so that's not a problem.  I'm overwhelmed at any point about the paperwork, but I am not sure that doing a MEAC program is also going to be helpful.  I am partway through a non-MEAC accredited school anyway, and feel like I'd be duplicating the work for...
Birth where you want.  We cleaned out the breakfast nook in our kitchen and laid down a tarp.  Set up a pool.  Our LR sofa is a futon, so put that down to be the "landing site" bed.  We really enjoyed having our baby in the kitchen.  Easy access to food... :D  Hooked up to the laundry room sink.  Really easy.  
I think that comparing a HB midwife to a hospital birth with a dr. isn't a fair comparison at all.  She/he is going to drive their car to your house, maybe multiple times, spend several 45 to 1 hour appointments with you, assessing, educating, in depth, looking at your whole picture.  Whether your birth is 3 hrs start to finish or 3 days start to finish, she will be at your house for as long as is needed.  She will skip hours of sleep, meals, and even adjust her voiding...
Hi there, I know that homebirth is officially illegal in MD; I know that there are a few women who do.  There is a new free standing birth center in northern VA in Chantilly, just opening up this month.  The midwives opening it are CPMs and have been practicing in this area for a few years.  Here is the website:   www.birthbydesign.org  and www.novabirthcenter.org   The distance from Frederick to Chantilly is about 45 miles; in minimal traffic it would be about...
Leading Lady does look like it has a lot of good styles, but the largest style only goes up to DD.  While that is large-busted, it is certainly not "the limit" and so it's not as generally serviceable as the other resources mentioned.  Have had good results with the wire free Fancee Free from Breakout Bras.
Our teachers do this as well, so my dd ended up learning the 1st part last year, and is approaching the end of book 5, and will learn the 2nd part this year.  Our studio will be doing this for our group concert, and there are 2 students on each part.  Very exciting!