or Connect

Posts by Kirsten

I would tend to agree - except that it is TOMORROW, and she clearly needs the help.  Just keep your opinions to yourself and do a good deed by watching the baby when she really needs that.   I wouldn't in a million years offer to nurse another woman's child - except maybe if we were stuck in the wilderness and out of whatever her baby usually ate.  I nursed my kids; I am all for nursing.  But it is wrong in so many ways to think 1) you know her situation, 2) you...
Well, she is clearly not really your friend.  Doesn't sound like she is a friend to anyone.  I'd not engage in anything but polite responses to direct statements made to you when in group situations.  Make plans with the other two friends.  They are individuals who are free to see whomever they want - with or without said "friend".  If she asks why the three of you went to lunch without her, I'd tell her why.  She can change or she can see less of you.  Likely the other...
  My kids are 14, 10 and 7.  I have pulled them out of school for two things - took dd1 out of (forget if it was kindergarten or 1st grade) to attend a friend's wedding in Canada.  Wedding was on a Friday so with border crossing, we couldn't be sure we'd make it if we left at 3:00.  I actually sent her to school for the morning and we left at lunch.  At the reception, the groom did a toast that I still remember so fondly - he said "all the people I love in the world are...
  Great post!  I - for the first time - used the thumbs up box!  :)    I feel the purpose of a wedding is to join two individuals.  That usually - but not always - includes their friends and families, which of course have kids in many cases.  When space at the venue and finances for the food allow, kids are often invited.  But I agree that overall, kids are not likely to truly understand/appreciate what is happening during the ceremony and will quickly tire of the...
I was a nanny for five years (same family) after I graduated college and before I had kids of my own.  Few of my opinions that may help in the next nanny relationship (whether it is your old nanny or a new one)... *Although it is a professional relationship, it is someone in your home - loving/teaching/disciplining/caring for your child.  It is hard to not get attached in a more personal way. *Someone with kids and medical issues is not going to be able to help...
Situations that come up are exactly why having a couple of babysitter options is crucial IMO.  The kids are 9 and 6 - how about setting up sleepovers at their friends' houses?  That would be free, and you could reciprocate sometime.   I disagree that it is a Herculean effort to go.  It isn't convenient, but it is doable.  It is once.  For your cousin's wedding that you had been looking forward to and planned to attend.  I have many times driven six to eight hours...
I voted would like to know in advance.  I have a friend who is vegan and often hosts gatherings.  Everything he serves is vegan.  His taste buds - after many years of being vegan - are different than mine (fairly traditional American diet).  He makes a cold brown rice and bean salad that is TO DIE FOR.  Honestly.  I ask him to make it for me for my birthday.  However, I am not a fan of most of the other vegan dishes.  Before I go, I usually eat a hearty lunch - then put...
Exactly.   THIS!!!!  :)   Yes, please go.  Dd will be fine and it will be a special gift to your dp to have you share that night with him.  Live music is one of the best things ever - enjoy!!    
Can you explain this to me?  What exactly might the OP's dp fear in relation to his kids being in Hawaii with their mother and entire extended family?  As far as we understand, the extended family doesn't include raging alcoholics or child molesters.  Hawaii isn't known to be a dangerous place to vacation.  The OP's children don't have breathing tubes or fragile medical conditions.  I think slight worry (I hope everything goes smoothly) is human, but fear (leave them...
  Well, unless you are under your roof 100% of the time, and in the same room they are in day and night, it very well might be under your roof.  If we polled everyone on mdc (or anywhere) I bet a good portion of us had sex in our house and/or in our boyfriend's house as teenagers.  After school, when you are at the grocery store, before you get home from work, while you are at (insert wherever you go).  I was on the honor roll, never smoked or did drugs, parents and...