or Connect

Posts by Kirsten

I think American Girls' The Care and Keeping of You is a GREAT first book!  I buy it for each of my daughters when they turn 8.  I thought we could pass it along (my girls are four and almost three years apart) but each girl wanted to keep her copy.
I like the journal idea, but not locking.  My 14 year old dd likes aluminum water bottles with cool scenes on them.  She loves iTunes gift cards!  Gift cards to local movie theater or bookstore chains are always good.  I agree with a previous poster that clothes are really tough to call unless you know someone VERY well. 
I am fine with alternative/classic/old-fashioned/trendy/whatever names people choose, but I do wonder what "out there" names you are considering with a dd named Ella?  I DO think siblings' names should "go together"... and I don't consider Ella an unusual or "people will judge me for using it" name.
Tupperware makes a long attached lid box called Lunch n' Things.  When you open the hinged lid, it has four spots - one big square for a sandwich or main meal, one rectangular for juice box/bag or carrot/celery sticks/gogurt, two smaller squares for cookies/fish crackers/pretzels.  Wash in the top rack of the dishwasher.  LOVE ours.  I have two per kid so one can be in the dishwasher while one is in use.  We've had ours for years.
I think calling her a turtle was a poor choice on the teacher's part.  I would email her calmly - saying I realize Fiona works slowly, but that I'd appreciate the teacher not calling negative attention to it.  And in our school, I've heard teachers saying to do a project "the turtle way" or "the rabbit way" depending on how much time we had - but not labeling the child specifically.  I can even see "you are being a turtle; we only have time to do this the rabbit way...
Didn't even know you COULD rent a car seat.  Where does one even do that?   I think it is a bit odd that the host is in charge of figuring this out.  Why wouldn't the children's parents either bring car seats along (what I would do if I were going somewhere) or make arrangements themselves?  Putting that on a childless host seems odd to me.    In general, if I were hosting someone for a short period of time and they didn't bring car seats, I'd borrow (actually I...
In our house, you can get your ears pierced when you turn 12.  I consider it a rite of passage as well.  IMO makeup, heels, pierced ears are all things that signify getting older, growing up.  My dd1 was the LAST girl in her class to get her ears pierced.  She is a very responsible girl; we kept them in the allotted time - and still she had problems with them.  Many tears were shed when she couldn't get an earring in and the bus was coming.  One grew over and had to be...
He's not even three, right?  It doesn't sound like a good fit for your son.  My dd1 and I toured a Montessori school when she was four.  It wasn't right for her at all (in fact for years she referred to it as "the bad school" and we were there for only an hour or so).  But my friend's four year old son LOVED it and thrived there for two years.  All kids are different.  What works for one might not work for another.   I'd try a play-based preschool - have you...
Aw, my bff and I have ours picked out too!  My MIL lives there right now and it is like Club Med for grammas!   And I disagree that shows like Friends give people unrealistic expectations for friendship.  I actually really like how different the characters are, and although some things annoy the others, they are there anyway.  I think you have to "click" with a person, but I don't think you have to have the same background/views/etc.   I have long been sad when people on...
10 hours per day Monday through Friday.