or Connect

Posts by Kirsten

Absolutely! Met her at a LLL meeting ten years ago when my dd2 and her dd1 were babies. We talk, text and/or email daily. Definitely "there for you at 2:00 a.m." friends.
Quote: Originally Posted by KCMichigan I would leave before the party and explain to your son and his teacher in simple terms why he is not attending. Yep, this. Pick him up at or after lunch and skip the rest of the day. I wouldn't make up an appointment excuse; your actual reason is good enough. As his parent, you can make that choice. Quote: Originally Posted by Emmeline II I agree. You don't have to "make a stink,"...
12 is when I start allowing my kids to ride in the front (regardless of what seats might be available in the back). So I think that this isn't something worth stressing the parenting relationship over. I agree with a previous poster that I'd feel differently if he were four or six - and would go to the mat at a younger age.
Quote: Originally Posted by phathui5 Yes, if you're not doing it. I'm comfortable with other adults correcting my children as long as they are gentle with them about it. I agree. It is absolutely the parent's right and responsibility to intervene if their child is causing a problem for someone else. But if they aren't there or choose not to, then another adult should be able to (hopefully gently) stop the action. If Child A is...
Quote: Originally Posted by jeanine123 I wouldn't let my kids eat a homemade treat, even if it had the name and address on it. Same here. Sorry.
Only had time to read the first page so far. Sorry, I can't tell you that you are doing the right thing - I absolutely disagree with the tone of your first post, even though in theory I agree with you on a fair bit of it. I don't smoke - have never even tried it. My dad smoked a pack or two a day for the first 12 years of my life - in the house, in the car. My grandparents, my uncle, many of my friends' parents smoked around us during childhood. It was more common...
I give you credit for putting your own anxiety aside and letting him grow through this transition to school. I do think kids can sense our anxiety (like dogs sense fear) so I would do everything you can to truly focus on all the many positives in this situation. I disagree that "all kids are like that" but I do think that letting him skip all parts of early childhood that ease you into kindergarten (like preschool, babysitters on date nights that you and your dp take,...
I definitely know enough people to talk to all day - but I don't even do that when I'm at home. At work is an odd choice. But I think the only person who can have a beef with it is her boss. As it seems she is getting her work done then I guess no harm, no foul.
Quote: Originally Posted by AFWife even at 18 I wasn't allowed to taste drinks or anything. Enter me going to college...and almost walking out with a drinking problem. I disagree with what this implies to me - that if you don't give your teenagers drinks with dinner now and then, they will go to college and become alcoholics. The drinking age here is 21. I would absolutely not ignore the laws and give them drinks as teens, even older teens. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by finnegansmom it does get tiresome to be at the doctors or hospital and have to say over and over again, YES I am the MOTHER of this CHILD. My three kids have their dad's last name - which I do not go by. No one has ever once questioned me or thought they weren't mine. Maybe it is regional? Quote: Originally Posted by Svarupa Just so you know that families do it all kinds of ways -- whatever you...