or Connect

Posts by AsYouWish

I am frankly a little bit surprised at some of the responses I have seen on this thread now that I have had a chance to read through them. One poster thought that paying off debt/building good credit wasn't important. I have no desire to be a desperate houswife locked in the suburbs dreaming of a picket fence, but I think being a responsible consumer and paying off debt/bills is VERY important, first and foremost for setting an example for my as-yet-nonexistent...
We've had Vonage for probably a year now, or longer. So far, we have liked it just fine. There's been the occassional lack of use when the cable/internet has gone out, but that hasn't happened very often. And as for 911 service, Vonage in our area is making a VERY big deal about rolling out the address notification for dispatchers. In fact, I just recently received something in the mail about that that I have been intending to review in detail. In the beginning, we had...
I'm sorry, I didn't have time to read through all the thread. : But maybe sometimes when you hear people say that they just don't have the money to start a family, that they don't really mean all the gadgets or even medical or educational expenses. It takes both my dh's and my income to make ends meet, and we live quite frugally. We've never even gone on a vacation. If we were to have a baby right now, I'm not sure how we could afford to live. We both have to work to...
I just recently read the Handmaid's Tale. I found it very interesting that this fundamentalist Christian group -- the Gilead??? -- (whose members already had high rank in society) was able to take control of the government/society by 1. orchestrating an attack on the White House and Congress and blaming Islamic extremists, 2. stepping in and declaring martial law for everyone's "safety", 3. closing off financial means and career options for women, and 4. engaging in...
Just from my own childhood experience: I just recently realized, at age 28, that Jack Tripper was posing as a gay guy to live with Chrissy and Janet. It was a lightbulb moment. So that's why my old-fashioned, very traditional mother didn't want me watching that show: she didn't want me influenced by any kind of protrayal of homosexuality. (Too bad for her that an unusual number of my childhood friends came out of the closet in college! :LOL ) Anyway, my point is...
I never heard the term muffin top til now. Thanks for the info! LOL No kids yet, but plan on BF, including NIP obviously, when babies are (finally) in my life. Interesting topic. Never even considered the cover-up/no cover-up issue before. Logistically (pulling up top, dealing with bra, latching on, etc.) does it make a difference if you are already a very busty gal?
Quote: Her research has shown that parents in overcrowded or substandard housing also tend to be less attentive to their children overall. and Quote: "There's a lot of cultural stuff going on in terms of wanting to bond with the baby, not wanting to see the baby cry," How can these parents be less attentive and have a cultural norm of bonding at the same time????
Hi there. Sorry, I'm a little new to this and lurk mostly. I saw mention of GD earlier. What is that? TIA
Hi girls! So happy to have found you. Been married to dh over four years and never felt the time was right. About a year and a half into our marriage dh was laid off and ended up out of work for sixteen months. We are still recovering financially. And all that time I had to work and was not able to finish school like we planned. We are finally set up in our lives so that I can go back to school in the fall to finally get my bachelors. It will have to be part time...
So dh and I are TTC our first child. We already know where we stand when it comes to parenting style which is going to be SO different than how all of my sisters (there are four -- all older than me) chose to parent. Really, our beliefs/lifestyles/philosophy are already WAY different from our family's. My specific problem is my oldest sister. I love her; she's my sister. But she can say the most shocking things to me. And her intention can only be to tear me down a...