or Connect

Posts by Ravin

I made my transgender connection after having my son. I've identified as bi since high school, but after having my son it clicked that I don't actually have to be feminine, despite being a mom and the mom of a girly girl. My genderqueerness had been hiding in my psyche since I was, oh, 20, and started trying to be something I wasn't because I thought that was necessary to the path to parenthood dictated by my biology.   There's a spiritual component to it for me that...
DS has been on a nursing strike for over a week now--he'll only latch on in his sleep. He's eating some solids, but not a whole lot, and thanks to a stomach bug my pumping isn't keeping up with his demand. Any advice on what to feed him? DD transitioned to goat milk at 13 mo. For when away from me, but DS is not even 9 mo., so I don't want to over-rely on it to his detriment. Do we have to go to formula?
Hi all! I'm currently dealing with my own gender issues, something I began confronting consciously after DS was born. I'm contemplating the possibility of transitioning after he weans, maybe with T, or maybe just top surgery, and a name change. It's scary, I have no idea how my relationships will weather it, or the kids; etc.
Seeking counseling for your child is NOT going to be harmful. I'd say wait and see, too, except for the anger--that anger needs to be dealt with, the sooner the better. It could go a couple of ways--your child could hit puberty and settle in to being female. OR, puberty could make it worse, hormones can amplify the anger, and that anger could be focused outward leading to struggles and serious discipline problems, or turned inward with serious consequences (cutting,...
Well, last night he wouldn't nurse at bedtime; had to get him down with a bottle of ebm. I wound up getting up at like 1 AM and pumping because I was engorged (ugh!). He woke at 3AM and after the diaper change, etc. again wouldn't nurse, but that time I did get him to switch to the breast once he was mostly asleep.   He's definitely increased how much solids he's getting, but he's been quite unhappy with the new routine--refusing the breast and crying until a bottle...
I'm having much the same issue--teething and my reaction to his biting me led to a nursing strike. We're on day four. DS seems to be feeling better, and all along he's nursed at night and taken a bottle--but when awake he now is suddenly more interested in solids (which is fine) and prefers the bottle to the breast, apparently because of a combination of instant gratification and freedom to chomp down as desired. I've been pumping, and the last 2 days have gotten him onto...
We need something with a bit more rise. I figured out how to make the sunbaby dipes we had last longer by not snapping the leg snaps, but he keeps getting plumber's crack because while the rise is as much as on some other diapers we have that fit him well, there's so much leg elastic that it pulls the effective rise shorter.   We'll try one of the others, I think. Several of them sell single dipes reasonably on ebay to try out.
I think Latin is great (and will be teaching DD this year), but if you're fluent in multiple modern languages, spending time on those will likely accomplish the same thing as well as having more practical use.   Because Latin is a dead language, it is more organized and clear-cut in its grammar rules than living languages. This is its advantage.   Really, in your position I might consider a course that studies Latin roots in English for vocabulary strengthening,...
I got DD trainers from the EC store. Won't be of any use for DS; he weighed what she did at a year when he was 4mo.
I was given a dozen of their old pattern, and they were awesome until DS hit about 15 lbs. I'd like to get more, but if they're not a good option on chunky babes I'll look elsewhere.