or Connect

Posts by Ravin

Well, I live in Arizona, where everyone sane hibernates through most of summer. Especially when like me they don't have a car. I ship DD off to my mom for part of the summer, and when she gets back, swim lessons are about it. This summer we'll likely get a leg up on schoolwork while her friends are still hiding in air conditioned daycamps, vacations out of the desert, and alternative childcare arrangements that make them impossible to find to play with (unlike during the...
I don't understand DES's logic, either. We may lose it all next month because DW#2 can't pay child support because she has no income atm, and they want proof of what her child support is and how much she's paid this month...given that her tax return was smaller than it should have been because she let her ex claim her DS2 even though she was supposed to be able to this year to help him pay for his braces, and she spent most of it on rent on the 1st.   Not sure what...
Well, I'm nearing the end of maternity leave. We qualified for over $700 in food stamps this month. We can't pay our utilities or rent, but we're eating good. No cash assistance, though. DH's student job has dried up, for what it's worth. He figured each day of work he was netting about $10, for a 2 hour commute and 3 hours of work at $9 an hour, by the time they took out taxes and child support. Oh, and the axle broke on our van so we are without a vehicle for the...
Our front room is a mess. I can't catch up and organize, and the thought of decluttering is stressful because of the notion that I should sort things for garage sale, donation, etc. I have my doubts about getting my act together to HAVE a garage sale, and we haven't got a working vehicle so how to donate? We can't even recycle our electronics because the only place to recycle them requires you to bring them the stuff.   Can I just throw it all...
We are selecteve/delayed vaxers. DD received her first polio shot in 2009. She'll be getting a booster at her next well check. The thing that bothers me is, I don't remember if she's had a second shot of polio or not; we may have gone ahead and just forgot to take the shot record to the appointment. She's seeing a new doctor at this check up because her previous dr. passed away. She'll have to order the records...
Delicateflower, do you live sommewhere humid? All but the heaviest items will dry overnight in my laundry room; most of the year most things will dry within an hour if I hang them on my back patio.   Decluttering my wardrobe is on my to-do list. I'm postpartum and go back to work in a couple of weeks. I do not want to go back in maternity pants (I had just 1 pr for work and am SO sick of them, tho they were comfy). I'll post what I come up with.
Actually, this was the only one I applied to; if I didn't get in, there was another one in the area with a much later application deadline I was going to apply to, and barring that, I was going to look at a different career field. I'm not in a position to move to a different city to go to school. Sigh. I'm going to the introductory event for accepted students this Friday; I'll talk to someone about it then if my email isn't responded to.  
Well, I got my acceptance packet in the mail. I was offered a $15K scholarship for my first year. But I have to come up with $250 for an enrollment fee by May 2nd. First mention of this fee was in the acceptance packet. I'm seeking a waiver of some kind and friends have offered on Facebook to chip in...   Right now we don't even have money for utilities. Life is crazy.
The "no spouses" is because of the 2-deep rule, which is modeled on the Boy Scouts' rules on the matter. There is an online training which is required for leaders; you might want to look it up and review it. You might be able to fulfill the 2-deep rule with spouse-leaders if you always have a 3rd parent volunteer comitted to being at all meetings and activities, though. I'm not sure about how they interpret that.
I tried doing GuestHollow with DD this year, and dropped it mid-fall because she had ZERO interest in history. She liked the hands-on projects and that's about it.   For next year, I want something that will actually appeal to her. She likes workbooks, she likes crafts, she likes books with lots of illustrations. I want her to learn some U.S. History. There's bound to be an approach where we can meet in a happy medium. I'm open to unit study approaches, different...