or Connect

Posts by Inci

My life feels so normal to ME that I don't even realize how many of the things I do are examples of "extreme frugality"... but I guess they are! I can relate to lots in this thread - I, too, do the following: - re-use bath towels and only shower every 2-3 days - re-use cleanish dishes - wear the same jeans until they REALLY need to be washed - use cloth napkins and tissues and cut up old clothes to be rags I also: - use a Diva cup and "cloth pads" that are...
Thanks so much for the ideas, Lizzy, Krystal, sunanthem! This food stamps thing is so new to me, it didn't occur to me that I could buy food gifts... Wow! This may be a way I can actually get through Christmas shopping!
Just checking in 'cause it's been a while... *HUGS* to all of you going through tough times right now. No, I don't have a savings account, and yes, I feel like I am on shaky ground without one. I once opened a savings account but couldn't put enough money in it to avoid it being charged $2.50 per month for "insufficient funds," ha. I tried to close the account, but there would have been a cancellation fee higher than what was even in the account unless I waited a...
You handled it very well!
Quote: Originally Posted by Angelstill From one musician to another.....GO! Your kids will be fine. They will make it. Don't lose you! Don't lose you! Your children will NOT be scarred from life... they will be loved and cared for in your absence, and there are several months to prepare both them and you for this trip. You are a wonderful mama, AND you are a wonderful jazz musician. If the trip and the music nourishes your soul/fills...
A few weeks ago, I met a mom who was 7 months pregnant. I asked how her 3-year-old dd was feeling about the impending arrival of her sibling, and the mom said that her dd wants a sister so badly that she's saying, "If it's a boy, we'll bring him to the fire station!" And that is because, a long time ago when she was misbehaving, her mom joked to her dh, "Is it too late to bring her to the fire station?" and dd asked what she meant, and mom explained that that's the safe...
I've been vegetarian for 9 years and I'm not a very good cook, either. But I do eat meals that are healthy and tasty, while simple! Here are some of my "staples": Breakfast burritos (at any time of day): - Stick a frozen tortilla on the oven rack to warm up, with the oven on the "warm" setting, with sliced cheese melting on top of it (optional) - While the tortilla is warming, fry an egg, then put it on the tortilla. - Add some kind of vegetable - e.g. chopped...
Inspiring and unique... thanks for that!
mother star, it's wonderful that your son feels comfortable asking you such questions!
It's helpful to provide toddlers and preschoolers with books that feature people of color and from different cultures, and toys/dolls that are of color as well, attend whatever multicultural events you can, etc. Of course, sometimes kids just blurt out embarrassing things no matter what you do! My mom once worked in a bank where a toddler pointed to a large woman in a purple pantsuit and yelled "BARNEY!"