or Connect

Posts by bestjob

The socks sound really lovely.     One thing that helps is to frame the way Christmas will play out.  If there isn't a lot of money (and at our house, that is a year-by-year thing) it is good to address it in the weeks before.  Little comments help kids modify their expectations.     For pre-teen girls, I would suggest clothing, movie passes, tickets for future events, and crafts.  Games are good as well, especially board games.  It's important to have a gift that can...
When my brother was 11, he went from being Jamie to being Jim (his given name is James) and when I was 11 I went from Elizabeth to Liz.  When I was 18 I went back to Elizabeth, and now I find it irritating when people call me Liz (except for the people I knew when I was a teen...)  My younger brother had a middle name that I have always disliked, and if I'd been him, I would have wanted to change it.  My son has been called a nickname since birth.  My mother-in-law...
Most of these posts give the same ideas as I would have in terms of what you can provide for him.  One thing I think of in terms of giving him fruits and veg is using frozen items - but they can be expensive, so maybe part of the exercise could be having him help budget for food and understand lower cost items that give the same result (chips are expensive, pita chips made from stale pitas are not).    Maybe one thing to look at is how he can help make foods for...
I used to be the Chair of the parents' organization at my older son's school. We had a $35K+ fundraising ability and 200+r of volunteers who worked in a number of different areas.    My second son enrolled in a different school and it has been really difficult to become involved.   I have made frequent offers to help at the second school, and my offers have actually been snubbed.  Through the grapevine I have heard that the person who is the Chair at that school...
Providing children with life-long immunity for particular diseases is how innoculation works, both in theory and practice.   Givng children innoculations for HPV at age 12 doesn't mean they are going to be having sex at age 12.  It just means their immune system will be ready for particular STD's when they are sexually active.   Instead of being spooked by it, why not look at it as a chance to discuss sex with your kids when they are ready to talk to you?    
DS (9 yo) plays rep hockey. His biggest fan is DS (12 yo) who analyses every play. Younger brother is very interested in older brother's karate and cross country activities. They battle and bug. I'm not sure how they'll end up. I just know they love each other and will even sometimes say it out loud. They have an older sister who is 15 yo, and they adore her, but they still have special brotherly bond.
You are being very kind with food. He can wash/drink/flush at school or at the arena, so he is okay. But still.... Can you extend your kindness to a bed (even on the couch) at times? It seems this family is only going to mess things up more, so maybe think about giving the kids a bed. If you do give the boys a bed, you need to set your rules. Mine would be "no alcohol, no drugs, in bed by 11 pm and to school or work by 8 am." And I would not give out...
Dd met a best friend on the first day of Gr 1, and in their Gr 10 yearbooks, they are still wonderful friends, but I can tell they are not BFF. It wasn't dramatic... just ages and stages. After reading a pp's message, I would also note that while I enjoy the other girl's mum' company very much, I never had a real friendship with her so my analysis of the friendship is on the child level, not the adult level.
You did the right thing. If you were my child, I'd ask if you stood up for repectful behaviour. The mum who offered the meat is now asking you to respect her actions. She's asking you to back her up on a moral issue but she acted unethically. It isn't about whether eating meat is wrong or right... it is about whether or not you can trust someone. I feel sorry that you have to tell her she broke the bond of trust that the three moms had.
When whe was 3 yo, dd asked me if I knew why we have nostrils. She told me it was so to keep the squirrels away from our boogers. Profound? Rude? Illinformed? Who knows?