or Connect

Posts by kir

Hi - My daughter was not sick at all today, and then a few hours after going to bed, around midnight, she woke up WAILING. I thought it was a nightmare, got her back to sleep -- but then after 30 mins of this she told me her ear and throat hurt. I tried calming her (we've not had ear infections here much, so i didn't know what to do), and after 45 minutes of frantic crying i called her doctor. The doctor said give tylenol/motrin, put a heating pad, and elevate her head....
Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. Things have gotten better, using ideas from here. We got our girls to understand how tired we are, and how we need to get to sleep on time, too. They said that they don't like it when we say we'll come back in 5 minutes, b/c they never know how long that will be. So we decided we'd offer to check in after each song. We looked through CDs and picked out this international lullaby CD that i have. Now my girls listen to one song...
Thanks for the input, everyone!
I think you are totally right about the overstimulation! Can you help me figure out how to leave the room without a lot of crying? Usually, the problem is one kid will cry and then the other will start screaming "I can't sleep b/c ______ is crying too loud!!" Either that or they run out of the room, and it turns into a battle, with the girls running out and laughing maniacally, while my husband and i get increasingly frustrated. Also 5 minutes means nothing too them,...
We never sleep trained or used CIO or anything with our twin girls. They have always been bad sleepers, but I did years of feeding all through the night, walking them to sleep in strollers, rocking them all night, etc. etc. They just turned 4, and I think we have reached our sleep-deprivation limit. Right now, my twins go to sleep in their bedroom right next to DH and my room. They occasionally wake up at night, and then they come to us. But usually they sleep...
We never sleep trained or used CIO or anything with our twin girls. They have always been bad sleepers, but I did years of feeding all through the night, walking them to sleep in strollers, rocking them all night, etc. etc. They just turned 4, and I think we have reached our sleep-deprivation limit. Right now, my twins go to sleep in their bedroom right next to DH and my room. They occasionally wake up at night, and then they come to us. But usually they sleep...
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I should try LLL . . . it's sort of weird (but i don't know why) b/c at this point we'd be in a toddler nursing group. Also, and this is weird too, i've found that a lot of pro-nursing people still don't think there's anything wrong with CIO. I don't get that. Stacy, that's great you live so close...I PM'ed you. Wendy, i'm in Brooklyn, near Park Slope. PS is funky and crunchy, but in a public way. i don't know how to...
We moved back to NYC a few months ago from India. In india, it's pretty much considered barbaric not to respond to a baby's cries, and most people do some version of co-sleeping. There's not this whole thing around bedtime routines, 12 hours of sleep, etc. etc. Anyway, I like a lot of things about living in NYC -- more things to do with my girls, for example -- but i'm losing it with the sleep stuff. I need people to talk to about sleep because I really am not getting...
We have had some times lately, with the weather getting warmer, when we didn't give the girls enough water through the day, and they'd wake up a lot to nurse, and finally in frustration we'd offer some water, and then they'd go back to sleep for 4-5 hours. I'm not saying that your baby needs water (teething and growing pains sound more plausible), but i do think that sometimes there are really easy-to-ignore solutions right under my nose, and i miss them b/c i'm so tired....
I have to get a few wisdom teeth out tomorrow. Can anyone suggest a pain med that would be ok for my nursing babes (13 months old twins). The doctor suggested pumping and dumping b/c he doesn't know about safety of the pain meds. I'd rather not pump, and I know there are people who know how to do this safely. Please help, if you can. Thanks so much Kiran