or Connect

Posts by lucyem

We lived in a 3 room cottage for 1 1/2 years.   Baby co-slept.  I had a sidecar like sleeper for him but he vetoed it.  It ended up being a catch all for his toys and clothing.  But could be a space saving option for you. Changing pad was on a dresser.  After we moved and he was a little older we actually threw it out and just used the floor or bed. Cloth diapers were kept in a diaper holder someone gave me that hung up.  I hung it from the ceiling near the...
I was an english major in college and am a librarian so books are everywhere in my house :)  A couple of years ago I discovered paperbackswap.com and have been putting books up on it for some time now.  Anything I love and reread or has sentimental value I keep, and that's still quite a few books :)  Otherwise onto paperbackswap it goes.  Anything that does not swap over the year is donated to the annual library book sale.  
Check out the backyardchickens forum.  There are tons of photos of various types of coops and a lot more chicken people who can help with specifics.
It all comes down to management and how your coop and run are built.  We only let our hens out when we are around in the late afternoons.  Otherwise they are in a large secure covered run by day and their coop at night.  In the fall they get let into the garden where they help finish off the plants and fertilize a bit.   No food is wasted around here as the chickens can eat just about anything.     It took me ages to get my DH on the chicken bandwagon.  We have...
Once when I was young my mom ran out of aluminum foil and my grandmother cut a brown paper bag flat and used that.  She said it is what they did when she was young.  I have no memory of how well it worked, I just remember them doing it.   I have a big metal roasting pan and no lid.  
I would use it.  I hate seeing nice things put away and never used because "they are nice".  What is the point of having it?  The only drawback is that with the gold you probably have to hand wash.     We do have some of my great grandmother's china.  I display it and use it on holidays.  I am working on using it weekly for Sunday dinners when we use the dining room and so forth.  But my kids are still not totally trustworthy to even use everyday plates so I am...
I try and avoid sitting.  When you sit you get cold.   Quality layers & silk long underwear.  I say quality because there is so much variation from brand to brand.  I have a patagonia fleece that is amazingly warm and a thicker land's end that is basically summer wear.  I also wear a thinsulate vest all winter.   When I am really cold a hot shower helps. Hats inside.
I am always amazed at the number of those keyring cards I see people with on their keyrings.     IME even with the card it does not always pay off shopping at that store.   Bookstores for example, I rarely go in and usually buy online for less or hit the library.  Food store cards - there is only one locally with a card.  We rarely use it because the store, even with their special card is more expensive then others.  We have a pet store card but like the food...
My father's family purposefully put in family names as middle names.  My father was certainly given a mouthful.  And in doing genealogical work I see a lot of names used again and again on purpose.  Especially family names as middle names.   For my first DS I picked my great grandfather's name.  It sounded right with my son's first name.  I was not necessarily trying, but it worked.  If my father had been a different sort of person we might have used his name.  And...
In order to stay on top of clothing I need to be running the washer almost daily.  My laundry is in the kids bathroom so when they brush their teeth and so forth I put in a load of dirty to wash, fold the dry and put away.  The next morning I run through and put the wet into the dryer.  If I do not do this it gets backed up and turns into a large pile of clothing that I do not want to deal with.     My problem is my lack of anywhere to put my clothing.  But that's a...