or Connect

Posts by lucyem

I was one of those kids whose stuffed animals were my babies so I would agree that depending on the child you have to be careful about pairing down just like you would with any favorite toys.  I was devastated when one went missing.   My oldest has a severe dust mite allergy so that took care of us having any stuffed animals in the house.  He has one on his bed that is washed regularly and we have a total of about 3 more floating around because they are special.   If new...
We did it and I would not do it again.  My husband did the foundation, we hired a contractor to get the framing done with my husbands help.  We did an awful lot of the basics and all the finish work.  We could have done it all, and have the know how, but some projects had to get done so we had to hire people.  Plus we hate dealing with sheet rock.  We did have some help from friends but friends have their own lives and do not always show up when you need them to....
Well presently everything is on my kitchen countertops.  And I mean everything.   Now in a perfect world where I had time to clean and a place to put everything I would keep out the items I use a lot and are too bulky/heavy/odd to put away.  Fruit bowl, espresso machine, chicken scraps plate - that kind of thing. 
Has anyone done this?  We have a local antique center that has a bunch of dealers who rent space.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the costs involved and would it be worth it?  I have tons of random nicknaks I have inherited, random items from a shop I once owned, victorian & vintage clothing, random china, some small furniture.  I have looked into Etsy a little but between finding the time to set it up and then their horrible searching I have my doubts...
I am the odd person here.  I personally prefer a good quality couch with a washable slipcover.  It fits my style of home and furnishings, easy to wash or repair, no animals involved, if I ever want a different look I just get a new slipcover made.     We inherited a leather couch once and my dog ate a cushion.  The cost to repair it was not exactly cheap.  The cushion was attached and so the whole couch had to go to be repaired and then there was the issue of...
We got to Disney World yearly.  Presently my boys at 5 & 8.  My 5 yr old LOVES it.  None of us are into thrill rides and Disney is much more then just rides and is 4 parks.  We spend 1/2 day in the parks and 1/2 day at the pool for a week.   If you do want more info on Disney as to when to go, where to stay, saving money etc check out the disboards.com.  Easter is the second most popular time of year at Disney after Christmas.  My oldest had an anaphylactic dairy allergy...
I agree with everyone in that I do agree as a parent you need to set limits.  But on the other hand I also think it is good to allow a child to get it out of their system so to speak and learn about making their own limits.  My 8 yr old loves video games as well.  For Christmas he got a new game and we did not set any limits for him over the holidays but did encourage other activities and did still expect him to do his chores and so forth.  The first day he played all...
I might stop at the corner store for extra milk the day before a storm but would never brave the actual food store craziness.  We always have cookies on snow days :) I too have a small stockpile of dry goods/cans and we would be find for a couple of weeks before we would need food.  The worst storm we have had involved loosing power for a week.  Us and the rest of the state.  I lost everything in my fridge.  This makes me a little gun shy when it comes to buying anything...
  A reference librarian here.  Speak to or send a note to the director about your concerns and the sometimes you can use it and sometimes you cannot policy.  See what the actual policy is and why.  There may be a perfectly good reason things are the way they are or maybe not.  Maybe the director has no idea that it is a pain for parents with small children.  But I would bring it to their attention.     A total off the wall guess here is that it may possibly have...
Growing up I moved yearly.  There was one state where I felt like I actually fit in.  So when I was an adult I moved back and am very glad I did.  We are not near family which is a bummer in some ways.  But to move near family would have put us into a busy suburbia both my DH & I cannot stand.