or Connect

Posts by lucyem

Home made playdough is big at my house.  And honestly I have spent some money at toy stores looking for little activity sets to pull out at just the right moment.  I normally have 2-3 in a cabinet for those desperate times when I have to be on the phone and nothing is working.  Recently a big hit was a set of markers for use on windows.  
Stockings for us, as many other's have suggested, are a great way to keep the kids busy until you drag yourself out of bed at 5am and get some coffee In our case I have to go out and feed animals before any presents are opened.  So DH makes breakfast and the kids have something to keep them occupied.   We do a lot of the same kinds of things.  Underwear, cool toothbrushes, socks, little lego set to keep them busy, limited candy since I know my little one will eat it...
I found this  http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/swine/eb73w.htm     Feed Additives Poultry, particularly growing chickens, are sensitive to the beta-glucans in barley. Beta-glucans form gels in the digestive tract of birds that are not broken down because of the lack of appropriate enzymes and the rapid rate of passage in poultry. Without addition of beta-glucanases to the feed, barley-based diets have been associated with reduced levels of available energy and...
My MIL likes to overdo the dryer sheets, fabric softener, candles etc.  Once we got back a suitcase she had stuck 10 dryer sheets in.  By the time I realized what she did we had to just toss the suitcase.  Then there was the time my SIL pulled a plug in out of her mom's fridge LOL  I generally will wash the clothing a couple of times at least.  Once all together and then I will wash one piece at a time with a full load of towels.  The towels seem to do the trick.  I only...
I grew up being told your wish list is just a wish list.  Santa did his best.  We have raised our kids the same way and it works.  We do buy things off the kids' wish lists but not everything.      
I had an Asko front loader for 10+ years and never had a stinky issue with clothing or diapers except maybe in August if I left it closed up for 2 days with wet clothing in it.  Otherwise I never had an issue.  As for diapers I threw them in with whatever detergent I was using and washed in the sanitary rinse.  Newer Asko models are no longer that great.  I know of two appliance stores who stopped carrying them because the new ones had so many problems.  I bought a Bosch...
We use Biokleen dishwasher detergent and laundry detergent.  After going through a few different products this brand works the best for us.  
My oldest was big into bakugans (the 1inch balls) when he was in 1st-2nd grade.  We have never seen the tv show.  It is all part of a Bakugan Battle card game.  My DS has this whole elaborate way to play it and I am not sure how much is actually made up by him and his friends.  They used to trade them on the bus and play after school.  You roll the balls across the cards (that have metal in them) and they open up and who wins is based on points on the card or the...
If my kids are being shy or whatever I always remind them to say thank you and then I thank the person too on behalf of my kids.  At 8 my oldest says it most of the time on his own but being a kid he can get sidetracked like at the end of a playdate.  My 5 yr old does get shy and cannot say anything at times.  I just do my thing "DS say Thank you!" give him a moment where he does or does not say it and then I say "thank you".  It is obvious he is being shy because he...
I have a part siamese cat now.  He does the exact same thing about food.  To the point I got a sign that says "Beware Hungry Cat" for the kitchen wall.  Basically he spends his free time telling anyone in the room that he is going to die of starvation.  And he gets right in your face.  After fighting with him for years about food I finally gave in and started giving him wet food.  It helped but now he expects it and on the odd day we run out we certainly hear about it....