or Connect

Posts by mumto2

My 3 month old ds is scheduled for surgery next week to remove a granuloma. The anaesthetist has sent us out info for fasting although we will be speaking to him the day before the operation as well. The info indicates that fully bf baby can feed up until 10.30am and have clear fluids - which he calls water and clear apple juice - until 11am. We have to be at the hospital at 11.30 and apparantly he is first on the afternoon list, whatever time that is. My question...
I hate all the excess that is so rampant in our society also. However, I have come to realise that gift giving is actually more about the giver than the receiver. When ds1 was a baby, I used to try to orchestrate the gift giving but it was totally unsatisfactory for everyone. I felt pushy, demanding and ungrateful, and the grandparents were worried about trying to please me with the gifts for the grandkids. Invariably they wouln't get the 'right' thing anyway- ...
What is the longest time that a baby can be fully nourished by breast milk alone? I know 'everyone' says 6 months, but how much further can you go?
Happy birthday to you and your little one. The years go by so fast. Enjoy!!
Oh I am so with you on this one. My little one had dreadful reflux and I am comforting him in the sling at the moment so here is what helped us in no particular order. 1. Get a sling. I was never a sling person with my older two but this one is fantastic for ds. Other survivors of reflux agree that it has to be one similar in style to this to keep pressure off the tummy and allow him to self position a little. http://www.bubzilla.com.au/sling_science.html 2. ...
Here in Australia, everyone is screened during pregnancy, a few days after the birth (if it is in hospital), at the 2 week baby visit where a child health nurse visits you at home, at the 6 week post partum checkup and the child health nurse 4 month old baby visit. So, yeah, there is plenty of opportunity to realise you have ppd and be offered treatment. FWIW, I don't have ppd and am treated with scepticism, so it must be fairly common and commonly brought up too.
I'm going to try to hurry the kids along less. If we're late, we're late, it's not always the kids fault - and even if it is, being grumpy doesn't make the day any better for anyone. We have a new baby, people just need to be a bit more understanding of that. So I'm not going to grump in the mornings anymore.
I used to look after a little boy 6 months older than my dd. I would often have them out together in the double pram and was used to people making remarks about them as they really did look quite similar. I had really had my fill one day when an older lady made disapproving comments to her friend. We were on our way home from the park and both kids were quite grubby - we were in the lift together so I don't know why she didn''t think I would hear. Anyway she asked me...
This is bsby number 3 for me so I am much more relaxed and able to ignore so much more of the nonsence I hear. Believe me I have had plenty of practise. Conversation with nurde practicioner for well baby visit. I actually only wanted ds weighed and measured so i can fill out his book same as the older two to prevent that third child syndrome. Anyway, that can't be done apparantly without my jumping through hoops NP: you should be expressing now and storing it...
Similar thing happened to me. Ds was getting some of his 2 month vacs and the nurse told me that babies have a gasp reflex and will choke if breastfeeding at the same time. Of course, she felt she could 'allow' me to feed him after 2 screams because then he would be able to suck. This is the same baby who didn't even cry when having his heel prick guthrie test done at 3 days old. Anyways, I ignored her and she wasn't pleased especially as we only had half of the...