or Connect

Posts by amma!

Can you tape a large paper to the wall, at the height accessible to her?  Then she can scribble freely.  Some people paint one wall black and keep chalk available for children and visitors – of all ages.   My guess is that she does not want to write letters designed by others because she is busy exploring the pencil and its possibilities.  Imagine that you have arrived at a beautiful mountain and are being asked to sit and study a particular rock.  Your limbs yearn...
Sorry to hear that she is crying in the class but I would not take "slept in class" to be a negative remark.  More students should do it!  Sleeping when you need sleep is a good thing, and dreaming is form of expression - yet another talent that will serve her well when she comes to writing.    One question that occurred to me: Is she affected (negatively) by the comments in her book?  I hope not.  If you think she might be, I would recommend offering her some...
 Hi Preethi,   Encouraging her scribbling is a good way to encourage her eventual transition to writing.  If she is confident that what she is doing now is a valuable thing, worth doing, then she is likely get more interested in exploring more things to do with the crayon / pencil or even drawing with a stick or her finger in the mud ... all of these help to develop the skill as well as the excitement that builds a writer.    This article on Early Writing and...
My dd (age 8) has been watching the human body cartoons posted on youtube by isgota.    I thought I can make something "reportable" out of this by giving her some worksheets related to the topics.   I have been searching online but thought maybe I could get some recommendations here - do you have a good source for diagrams of human body parts that aren't already labelled - that she could maybe label and say what each part does?  I am thinking our reviewer would...
Would you let your kids watch it?  How old?
I feel it is very important to let my dd (age 8) try different explanations for things, even if they aren't correct, and have time to figure out what is wrong with them.  For example why some things float and others sink, or why the flute makes different pitch sounds.  Is it vitally impt that she know the correct explanations for this right now?     However, one family member seems to think that I am "not teaching" her.    I try to explain that this is my way of...
same experience here. All the best!
makes no difference.
Just came across this: School's In "According to the United States Department of Education, an estimated 1.5 million children in grades K-12 were home-educated in 2007, many of them for religious reasons; that number grew an average of 11 percent between 1999 and 2007."   This is from the December 2008 Issue Brief of National Center for Education Sciences:  nces.ed.gov/pubs2009/2009030.pdf   And the entire report is here:...
some families discuss unschooling in India ...http://vimeo.com/24997268