or Connect

Posts by musicman

Well, it's a cool idea I suppose. Haven't read the book by the way, but... I think that in a wider sense, of course, the "alternative" perspective all depends on what you consider to be "mainstream". I recognize that my own parenting style probably is pretty different from the statistical majority of fathers in America. I may even consider myself to be relatively "hip." But somehow I don't identify with any over-arching philosophy with regards to parenting or lifestyle....
My child is thoroughly a toddler now, and doesn't like to be immobilized for very long, of course. However, when he was younger, I carried him all the time... occasionally in a sling... More often just in one arm. Good thing I'm strong
I'll say 25, because I will be as such in less than a week.... ....which is a bit hard for me to believe!
Hi there, I am a young(ish) dad... DW, DS, and I don't live with parents, but they do still help us financially and to a lesser extent, emotionally. We have taken issue with some of the things that certain ones have said and done with regards to child-rearing. Hence, we tend to keep a respectful distance... which I understand is rather hard to do in your situation. So, First of all, you absolutely have a right to your feelings about what is going on, and the duty to...
Actually, we were just reflecting on this sort of thing today. When I'm home, DS only wants to be with me except to nurse. He'll cry and resist if Mama tries to take him for any other reason. Then he is horribly upset when I leave to go to work or elsewhere. But apparently when I'm gone, he is nothing but total love and affection towards Mama. I came to the conclusion that right now, he just does one of us at a time
What was the labor process like for you? Watching all of our carefully laid plans quickly unravel, and having to cope on the fly. (don't mean to scare you, but that's what happened) We went from a quiet, natural labor in a birth-center with a midwife, to an emergency-transfer hospital drugged-up birth in the span of about 24 hours. But everything turned out more than OK. Truly a miracle for us. We have an unbelievably wonderful son to show for it. So... Labor for me? It...
I read everything to my boy, from ingredient labels and roadsigns, to Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein, to Wordsworth and Thoreau... sharing language with him whenever I possibly can! He's going to be one of those kids who can write paragraphs in Kindergarten
Quote: Originally Posted by laohaire Been reading Richard Bach much? No, actually. I'd never heard of Richard Bach until I read your post and was prompted to find this. I can definitely identify with some elements of what he was saying. Anyway, I agree with what you and Tata say about stereotypes. Of course there's some truth in there... it's why they exist. Human brains always categorizing and classifying, trying to compartmentalize...
Congrats on your admittance into the super-secret society of seniority! Cheers!
laohaire, Skip the "football for dummies". Please, whatever you do... It's not worth it. The problem is (flagrant opinion begins now) football doesn't get any smarter than dummy-level. It's a fine recreation, but doesn't deserve the cultural status it has. Of course, I'd say the same of any American/televised/multi-billion-dollar sport. Anyway, it is good to know there are others like us. We may be relative hermits, but one of the running jokes when DS was a...