or Connect

Posts by pitchfork

I totally understand having one's own sensory issues getting in the way of giving my SN kiddo the environment and input he needs.  With DS, who is sometimes a craver of input and sometimes overresponsive, and I am an over responder, going to the playground in our city feels like a herculean task.  I'm trying for first thing in the am now, hoping I can deal with it and it will make the other issues the rest of the day better, thus less input (read screaming, mine and...
Only someone who has experienced something like a kid like this can get how blurry the lines of discipline can be in a situation like this. I have read the aforementioned books, and found them somewhat helpful. Two books I resisted reading for a long time because of their titles, but that I found helpful were "the Explosive Child" and "the Difficult Child." both have some good information and techniques if you can get past the titles. Ross Greene, author of the explosive...
One more thought on schedules, from a mom to a sensitive, disregulated , gifted SPD kid (I am so grateful to see that many of you who have responded have similar kiddos, I have not been using this board as a resource, but I will now! ) I also come from an abuse background and work with my own PTSD, so I hear ya It sounds to me like your days have a predictable rhythm to them. I also hear that any more than that is more than you can do. It's my experience that it's not...
Hi,  I'm Mom to DS, who is a 2E (twice exceptional) child, both gifted and special needs (SPD and anxiety).  Honestly, I had been so focussed on his SPD that I overlooked the needs he has around his giftedness (he tests really high in all areas).   He's starting first grade, and over the summer we had a neuro-psych eval done, which alerted me to his other "end" of needs, and focussed me on helping him find a suitable educational setting.  A setting that addresses...
I was recently told by a gifted/special needs teacher that she has found it is socially acceptable to brag about our kids athletic abilities, or even talk about their challenges, but it's taboo often to talk about their giftedness.    Congrats.  It's a nice feeling.
Another iPad app we LOVE for geography:  http://www.barefootbooks.com/landing_pages/barefoot-world-atlas-app
My SN DS with behavior issues also responds well to some of the techniques in "Kids, parents and power struggles", I ffound it to be a good book, if not totally relevant to SN issues. It gives great modeling for helping kis deal with emotions. Sounds like you have gotten lots of great advice here.
My DS also hated it. We worked up to the full hour slowly, his had to be with headphones and has bone conduction (iLs) so has an uncomfortable vibrating bump on the top of the headphone band. We also did OT excercises and played while listening, with a backpack since DS was sensitive to it being around his waist. At first til he got used to it we used "motivators" I didn't like it but it worked -a sticker dog that moved to a finish line, but no actual reward - in...
FarmerBeth, this is a fantastic idea!  Thank you.  I think he would do really way with some way to get control over his fears like this.  This type of approach has worked with him in the past, at his preschool, he and his SEIT (one on one special ed teacher) made a book of every person who worked in the school to give him confidence about being there.   Linda, no, there are not really any sensory accommodations in the classroom, surprisingly.  DS wears a hankerchief...
Hi all, It's so nice to find you others here. My DS with SPD started Kindergarten last week. He insisted on "ear protectors" - a handkerchief tied around his head covering his ears. He is in an integrated public school in NYC, 40% special Ed, 60% gen Ed, and this ratio is in each classroom. Each classroom has a special Ed teacher, a gen Ed teacher and an aide. Classes are limited to 24-25 kids, so a nice ratio. We worked hard to get him in there. Thank God for this...