or Connect

Posts by Elvirnon

I think of it as a name that's actually a name - unusual, but a name. I don't think of Pilot Inspektor or Moon Unit as names, just words. Lux makes me think of the girl in The Virgin Suicides by that name, I think Kirsten Dunst played her in the movie. That was the first time I heard it, so Lux brings to mind a pretty girl.
It's highly obnoxious. I'd go postal (but in a very nurturing, attached way, I'm sure! ) if I were entirely responsible for providing every single value, viewpoint, learning experience, and shoulder-to-cry-on to my children for 20 years straight. Because yeah, God forbid anyone else on this planet contribute to the raising of my children. They'd be tainted for life!
I would not assume, in the absence of any supporting evidence, that the woman was beating her child with the paddle. I'm with your husband on this one - and I do have very strong feelings regarding corporal punishment.
My SIL doesn't like for anyone to see her without makeup, she's self conscious about her rosacea. I was the same way in high school when I had bad skin. I'd keep concealer in my pocket at all times, and would never wash my face at a sleepover. It was not a vanity thing; I was given hell (about my complexion) by my middle school classmates for years, and after a while it sunk in and I was convinced that I was Ugly Incarnate when barefaced. So I could never judge another...
Quote: Originally Posted by AmandaBL 80% of women under the age of 40 have that hair. It's tedious & only looks truly good on about 20% of you. The bill you get for all those highlights, lowlights & blowouts not to mention home care treatments, shine sprays & rootlifters - that we like Don't leave us hanging! What differentiates the good-haired 20% from the rest? Is it that the hairstyle doesn't flatter their face shape, or does it have to do...
If I were to buy two bottoms and three tops, I'd choose either slacks or pencil skirts in black or charcoal, a white or ivory long-sleeved button-down blouse, a dressy (finer material, somewhat fitted) sweater, and a wrap cardigan in a neutral color that could go over a shell or a short-sleeved shirt to dress it up. I've found that certain thrift stores are great for this kind of thing; many women donate nearly their entire professional wardrobes when styles change, or...
Quote: Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd You know, I really think the mother's helper idea was a great solution. I don't think the break she'll get from sending the oldest to school will be very much. She'll still have the little ones and she'll have to pack them all up twice a day to drive her oldest to and from school. Along these lines, maybe she would consider half-day pre-K along with a mother's helper. Oldest DD would still get out...
Quote: Originally Posted by stacim I AM still trying to understand the full reasons why it needs to be a FT program and why she wants to do it. Just off the top of my head: - She might not want to pack up 3 littles in the middle of naptime to do a midday pick up. - The 5 year old might prefer the company of a group of similarly aged/skilled kids to her younger siblings, even for those extra few hours a day. - The money might not be a major...
Quote: Originally Posted by nextcommercial If this were your brother or son, would you warn any potential love interests? Yes, especially if she had a child that would potentially be a member of his household.
Quote: Originally Posted by DariusMom I think if the mom knows that she can't give her DD the attention and stimulation she wants, then you need to trust her judgment. I think people tend to get so caught up in "home with mom is best" that they don't always see that home with mom is not always best, especially if mom is overwhelmed. Yep, ITA. I think that being cared for by 2-3 patient, rested adults over the course of the day is always...