or Connect

Posts by polarbear

I HAD to be circumcised when I was an infant in 1974 due to a chronic case of parental ignorance and medical overzealousness (PIMO). Many of my friends also suffered from this severe (and often debilitating) condition and NEEDED to be circed. Just wanted to share my story.
Copied from one of my old postes: Some current position statements from medical associations who arguably have researched more than I, my mother in law, and my pediatrician combined… American Academy of Pediatrics - Care for the Uncircumcised Penis: http://www.medem.com/search/article...h_typ=NAV_SERCH “Sometime during the first several years of your son's life, his foreskin, which covers the head of the penis, will separate from the glans. Some foreskins...
Now that you know the gender I see two things that may have happened to change her mind: A)She has mentioned the sex of your son to a friend / co-worker / relative and got another one of those “my cousin’s friend’s dance instructor had to get it done at 22 because of nasty infections…” , and this has again placed doubt in her mind. (See Canadian Pediatric Society stats at 1%/1%, previously posted) B)She was still thinking in the abstract ‘might not be a boy’ sense...
ASHAMED!!!! As others have mentioned, you should not be ashamed for considering it since you educated yourself and moved forward. I do however, believe that parents should be ashamed for continuing with circumcising their son after learning all about it…after agreeing that there is little medical benefit…after understanding that the locker room and looking like Daddy points are moot...after realizing that the ‘looks gross factor’ is only due to lack of...
Some current position statements from medical associations who arguably have researched more than I, my mother in law, and my pediatrician combined… American Academy of Pediatrics - Care for the Uncircumcised Penis: http://www.medem.com/search/article...h_typ=NAV_SERCH “Sometime during the first several years of your son's life, his foreskin, which covers the head of the penis, will separate from the glans. Some foreskins separate soon after birth or even before...
I have read threads on other (pro-circumcision) mainstream boards where the question of the long term health benefits of circumcising later in life (after childhood). The usual answer is along the lines of 'the benefit is reduced, but now is still better than later.' Similar responses for how much should be removed for optimal health: 'More off is best' (Yeh right) (edit: Please note that neither is of the above are true.)
Generally you will have NO CHOICE WHATSOEVER as to how much is taken off. It is up to the skill of the Doctor / OB / Pediatrician / Intern as to how much they remove, as well as the method used. And even then, the size of the infant penis (0.5” to 1.5”) leaves much up to chance. Doctors have attempted to leave more these days as a way to accommodate the ‘chance’ factor. Please view the flurry of comments to follow with the understanding that this is an...
-
I would suggest that you wait until he is 18 so that he is more mature and emotionally less likely to be giving into teenage feeling of inadequacy, or just trying to fit in. Mid-teens are a very confusing time for kids. Use the time you have to reinforce the positive aspects of being intact, and battle the negative (and usually incorrect) media view of the foreskin in America. I would also suggest that whatever age you decide is acceptable, DON’T PAY FOR IT. Would you...
Did you know…that no medical or pediatric association IN THE WORLD recommends routine circumcision for anything? That urinary tract infections are rare, more common in girls, and easily treated. Did you know…that both the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control DOES NOT recommend circumcision to prevent AIDS or any other sexually transmitted disease? Did you know…that the American Cancer Society DOES NOT recommend circumcision to prevent...