or Connect

Posts by MomAndOliver

I would recommend "had a disease" over "was very sick" - I had a similar situation with my child, and used the "was very sick," and the next time he got a cold, he asked if he was going to die.
Depending on how long you've been out of school, I would at least check the textbook buy-back websites before donating the textbooks. We got a decent price for some of my husband's grad textbooks (and they were pretty old, but his field apparently doesn't update the textbooks too often). It was easy to check online what they would take, and the cash was definitely a nice bonus when we were moving.
I hate rugs! More to the point, I hate vacuuming rugs. We moved to house with all hardwood floors last year, and I haven't put down anything. I love how easy it is to sweep! It may look cold, but at least the floors are clean.
My 4 year old is going to be a "blue stegosaurus with green and orange spots." Maybe next year I should not ask what he wants to be . Thankfully, I finished it today - not terribly professional, but he seems very happy with it.
I think a power wheelchair would be a great idea! It would give her the freedom to explore on her own. I have a friend who uses one - she can walk, but it is very slow and takes a ton of effort for her due to her disability. She was thrilled when she got her power wheelchair - she used to be totally exhausted just from walking, and now she can use that energy to actually do the things she wants to do. A wheelchair to push may also be a good idea if you can't transport...
Quote: Originally Posted by LittleBlessings I keep all that stuff on the top shelf of the linen closet Hey, and I thought I was the only one! Mine is actually not a linen closet, just a closet in the hall, but my medicines are on a spice rack on the shelf in the top of the closet. The spice rack really helps me be able to see what is there a little more easily. OT, now I am wondering if I could put in more shelves to turn that closet into a...
I just wanted to point out one thing - we have 1.5 baths, and we mostly only use the upstairs one. I think we could easily have only one IF we had a one-level house. Given that we have a 2-story, I love having the half-bath on the first floor. We have some older family members for whom stairs are a real problem - I would hate for those people to not be able to visit even for the afternoon because there is no toilet they can get to. Also, if one of us were to get hurt...
These are very helpful things to think about, I appreciate your help. I also asked his preschool teacher from last year this morning, since she saw what adjustment to daycare was like for him then. He was younger then, but I respect her as a teacher, and she knows him well. Her advice was also that he might be happier at home. It took him a little while to adjust to preschool (augmented a bit by the fact that preschool is in Spanish, which is not his native language),...
Hi! I have posted before, I think, but I am a rehabilitation engineering professor. My department is starting a program in prosthetics and gave me the opportunity to be trained so that I will be able to teach in the new program. I was really excited about the opportunity, both because it will be cool to be able to make people artificial arms and because it will reduce my currently-almost-total dependence on grant funding. So I agreed. The program is 22 weeks online,...
I don't have much advice, but I wanted to wish you good luck! Personally, I would keep the sofa, but I could be biased because we still have our grad school futon and I am really wishing that it would magically transform into a grown-up sofa. But then, we don't have guests that often, and one prefers the air mattress and the other never unfolds the futon anyway.